What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing up

I've had my PFT terrarium setup for some 2+ weeks now and my VFTs are starting to look a bit healthier. I do have a problem though. My Dente has most leaves growing about parallel to the ground and the traps themselves are resting on the ground. It has sent up several new traps and the three largest are almost perpendicular to the ground, grown about 3 or 4 inches up, and just starting to get teeth. I assume this means it's recovering.
smile.gif

My problem is with my Common though. It has sent up a couple new traps but they always run pretty parallel to the ground and the traps are usually not more than a quarter of an inch above the ground, if at all. Is this indicative of a weakenned state? Is there anything I can do for it? It has a whole bunch of traps, they're just all kinda droopy. Thanks!
smile.gif

I'm no expert, but I think as long as they aren't touching the ground I think you are ok (with the exception if they catch something). The only two reasons I know they would droop is inadequate water or light. Since your Dente has some perpendicular traps, I'm assuming your lighting is ok, as for watering I can't say without seeing your layout. If the common isn't dried out, I don't know what else you can easily do to fix it. But from my experience with VFTs, I've always hurt them more than helpped them by trying to fix every little thing.

My advice is to hold tight unless it looks like the condition is worsening.

Hi Nick,
   Well, I have a VERY healthy typical that grows in an almost completely prostrate rosette.  Most of the traps are lying flat on the ground (if they're not lying flat on traps underneath them that is
wink.gif
).  Lying flat is not always a sign of poor health.  A flat rosette could just be a trait of your plant.  I would look for leaves that look wilted or are yellowing (or browning), or mis-shapen traps, as a sign of poor health.  If you could post a pic, we could most likely tell you for sure.
biggrin.gif

let me add a pic of my monster:
DVC00088.JPG

This guys has a diameter that exceeds a two liter soda bottle! And it's grown even more since I took this picture (a whole 10 days ago).

Hi Nick.. I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere that traps grown under artificial light will typically grow flat to the ground. Sunlight grown traps grow straight up as if reaching for the sun. Maybe next year I will move one of mine into the terrarium and see if this holds true.. hmmmm

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the info guys, and thanks for the pic Schloaty. See, that's the other thing, my Common doesn't have a nice even symmetrical rosetta like the one pictured there. I'll try to get a good pic or two tonight and post them, but I'm preparing for a week long Florida vacation soon so it might be another week or two.
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">for a week long Florida vacation [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm preparing for a year-long Florida vacation! LOL!!! I live here!!!  I hope you have lots of fun!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SnowyFalcon @ Aug. 06 2003,3:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm preparing for a year-long Florida vacation! LOL!!! I live here!!!  I hope you have lots of fun!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks, I plan to.
wink.gif

Here are those pictures.  Any comments on how the plant looks?  As you can see, the Dente seems to be doing just fine.  The D Intermedia just went in so it's still feeling a little down.  Thanks!

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

I'm telling you, they need some serious light. The plant looks too green and the baby traps are kinda deformed. More light will cure everything
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (uglypho @ Aug. 06 2003,8:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm telling you, they need some serious light. The plant looks too green and the baby traps are kinda deformed. More light will cure everything
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I just changed the lighting recently, they were low on light for about a week. Could that be the problem or do you think I still have too little. Right now I have a 26 watt "daylight" CFL shinning directly down in for about 15 or 16 hours/day. The tip of it is about 7 or 8 inches from the soil, so the light hitting them should be pretty intense. Do you think I should be looking at something more? Would leaving the light on 24/7 help? Thanks.

The Dente looks good, the intermedia looks a little under the weather, probably due to shipping. I'd say the same goes for the Typical VFTs. The new growth should perk up more than the older growth will recuperate (sp?) to. They all look healthy though, no black leaves, extreme wilting etc.

SF

They look ok to me. I think they could stand to have more light, though, as they are so green (not a hint of pink). You would be better off if you could a) move the light a little closer (but don't cook them) or b) slowly acclimate them to real sun. But not to worry, they do look pretty healthy. I had one that I rescued from Lowes as the beginning of the summer. It is a typical with a tendency to stay flacid. It was pathetic when I got it. Now it's coloring up nicely and really showing some growth (not the one pictured).

Back