Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went home for lunch and there they were, my new VFT!! I have three Green Dragons... first, I slowly took off the plastic and attached the botton plate. Then added water to the bottom of the plate and put the top back on the FVT and placed it them in the window?? Should I have watered the plant from on the top also? Can I leave the cup top off or just let it sit for a few days?? I hope I have done everything right so far!!! Your input is more then welcome. Now I feel like i'm part of the club/website now.

A few are brown but you can see new stem coming in... (smile)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only water from the bottom as it will disturb and compact the peat. Let it sit for a few days to get used to it's new conditions and then maybe take the top off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Alvin!! I just filled the bottom of the plate with distilled water and placed it in the the window.

In a few days, will the VFT be ok without the top?? It appears to me the the top would keep the VFT from growing...

So you never water the VFT from the top only through its plate at the bottom of the pot??

How many traps can a Green dragon or any other VFT grow at on time??

thanks again for your reply.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey tough,

Be sure it doesn't get too hot by the window. With the top on, your vft's can easily get cooked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the average number of traps seems to be 6-8, older traps will turn black and should by snipped off as close to the base as possible to prevent fungus. Do be careful of too much direct sun with or without the top on, plants need to adjust to direct sun in stages, like getting a tan. With good light Green Dragon gets a wonderful deep red color, and then can take full sun without problems s long as the humidity is above 50% or so. Enjoy!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my green dragon vft's , purple pitcher plants , dente vft bulb ,nepenthes ventricosa , and potting quick mix 4 days ago . I got the double option for my GD vft and 2 more . I don't know why I have the extra ones but they sure are small . the purple pitcher plant was big , but had burned tops , and the dente bulb traps died so I had to cut them off . The nepenthes ventricosa is fine with only two pitchers . Right now the growth of each plant is better now that I cout off the dead parts .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tough, don`t be too concerned about the dome cover, in a couple of weeks your plant will outgrow it. Just give it plenty of sunlight and distilled water and it should be ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody! Do I water the plant form the top or just fill the plate up when it gets low??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast