Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get rid of thrips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Steve L @ Oct. 24 2003,7:27)]Make sure they are thrip. You are right about thrip being small, but thrip are cigar shaped. The juviniles are tan and the adults can be tan to dark brown/black. If the insects you are seeing are more of a reddish round speck, then you probably have some type of mite. I would be surprised to see thrip on VFT's. I grow our collection in production greenhouses and the only thrip I have ever seen on VFT is on the flowers. It seems to me that mites may be a better guess, but the shape should tell you for sure. If you must use a chemical, Orthene is a pretty heavy gun, so follow the directions carfully. You may also find a product called Isotox which is Orthene plus a miticide. I would go for 24 hour submersion first. Let us know how it goes.
    I did the over night submersion, but some hours later I saw some small worms swimming out for life [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] so next day I decided to go with the orthene, gave it a light spray and it seems to be doing well now, since traps have gone back to normal growth.

Once again, thanks to all for the tips! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dragonfly, I think I'm also going to try the Orthene. How did you apply it? I gave up the the underwater treatment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (nightbreed @ Nov. 03 2003,8:16)]Dragonfly, I think I'm also going to try the Orthene. How did you apply it? I gave up the the underwater treatment.
    whoops..Hi Nightbreed, hadn't posted here in a while.

It was pretty simple, I made 1/4 liter mix in a 'spray' bottle (sorry, not too good on english) and applied it 3 times, once a week.

She's been pretty good since then, her growth increased drastically, and no more #$% thrips or worms. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12