What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting idea...think it'll fly?

R

roswell1329

I wanted to have a flytrap on my desk at work, but I'm sure you'll agree that the conditions in a typical cubical-farm are hardly what anyone would consider "ideal".  Stale air, zero humidity, and flourescent lights that are not full-spectrum. I could have created a terrarium for them, but I wanted to be able to see them clearly and not through glass covered with condensed water.  In my search for a good environment, I ran across a cool little desktop fountain:

flytrap.jpg

Terrible picture, I know, but the water flows down the blue tile and into a basin surrounding the base.  The pedestal in the center was supposed to be for a candle, but the pot for my VFT fit so perfectly, I couldn't resist.  I put it on my desk under my bookshelf with a agro-light tube on a timer to give it about 12-hours of light per day, and hoped for the best.  It's been there for about 3 weeks now and seems to be doing well.  In fact, I've noticed a number of new trap heads (around 8 ) springing up.  These were probably already growing before I bought it, but it made me feel good.  
biggrin.gif

While I realize the conditions aren't ideal, I'm hoping that the fountain provides enough ambient humidity, and that the agro-lite provides enough light for the little guy.  Do you think I'm simply prolonging the painful demise of this little plant, or do you think it has a good shot at survival using this method?  Any small modifications I could make to ensure its survival?

Sounds like your main issue will be light. VFT's are fairly forgiving of lower humidity, especially at an office temperature. VFT's are real light lovers. You might want to increase the exposure time on your light timer. Also remember that VFT's require a dormancy period.

Sure looks real nice, though!!
biggrin.gif

Can you set the timer for 16 hours of light?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can you set the timer for 16 hours of light?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I sure can.  I guess I have noticed some of the leaves wilting a bit.  I currently have a standard flourescent tube and an agro-bulb.  I read on another site that plants can use light from both tubes.  Is that right?  I can easily set the timer for 16 hours.  Thanks for the advice.

Plants can use the light from a nice cool white bulb just fine...I'm actually off to home depot tonight to pick up a 10 pack....
wink.gif

Those office conditions are not very healthy for the plant. It will prob. ''survive'' though. I would say the great outdoors is always best.

I think that's a really cool idea. May I ask where you found that fountain?

That's cool looking. I wouldn't mind a fountain on my desk.
smile.gif

I have two CP tanks at work (started with one and had to move to two of course). Everybody here loves to look at them and finds them quite interesting. I have encouraged a few people to visit the PFT forums. hehe You gotta spread the word when you can.
rolleyes.gif

Light probably will be your biggest issue except maybe cool conditions with the AC. My VFT here does ok but not as robust as those at home outside. It does catch lots of bugs though!

Neat pic, Roswell.
smile.gif

Suzanne

i am only worried about the light

cool idea roswell , i thought about that one but who would though a fountain would be a good thing the palce a vft on . remeber to take your plant out for dormancy in winter .

maybe you can get the plant to eat your boss

8 traps that twice what mine gave me and i have two

Back