What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plant (pics)

Hello, Im a newbie to looking after Venus Flytraps, I just bought this one for £3.99 from B&Q - does it look ok?

venus.jpg

Is it OK to leave the plant outside in full sun during the daytime?

Shall I sit it in a saucer of distilled water all the time or occasionally?

Any other tips?

Thanks

Andy

That plant looks wonderful for just being bought!
biggrin.gif
  Keep it in a tray of distilled water pretty much all the time, maybe let it demoisten (is that a word?) once in a while.  I usually give my VFT's water everyother day at around sunset.  They love full sun, maybe 5 to 6 hours a day (that is what I give mine.)  

Man I wish I could buy plants that nice looking around here.  They are really hard to find, and usually when I do find them they are not looking so good.  Excellent plant though
smile.gif

Wow... I can't believe it, you just bought that, it looks excellent for just being bought. Nice Plant
biggrin.gif

I was quite surprised at the size of it too...lets hope it continues to thrive
smile.gif
The biggest traps are about an inch long.

Are most of you guys in the USA I take it?

Andy

Hi Andy,
Some of us are in the UK too!
wink.gif

Hehe, B&Q had about 8 plants in their 'warehouse' this appeared to be the best although they were all healthy. A few Pitchers which looked healthy and fat, also the ones with the dewey long leaves, cant think of the name
smile.gif

Really nice looking VFT
smile.gif
! Last plant I bought at a store (Wal Mart) didn't have half that many traps and was infested with fungus gnats
sad.gif

The sticky ones are called sundews. They usually sell the species Drosera aliciae.
If you have success in keeping your flytraps, get hold of an all red one, they're really pretty.

No it looks like its been thru he!! and back hm.. probably last a week more I suggest you send it to me on the double so I can put some emergency procedures on it fast! message me for my address!! hurry we may not have much time left!!!

Seriously though it looks great!!!

wink.gif
Thanks for all the comments, it appears to be doing OK, Ill let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Andy

Another snap in the sun, Ive only had the plant 6 days and its growing very fast.

venus2.jpg

Man, have you got a green thumb!
biggrin.gif

Great flytrap!

Another as I was bored! Any idea why the traps arent a redish colour?

venus3.jpg

It will take a good month or so, before your trap will produce red traps. At least that is about how long it took for my traps to get nice and deep red, now they just produce red traps. My CP's get about a 9 o' clock to 3 or 4 o' clock sun. This seems to be the best for me. I have tried growing them in absolute full sun all day everyday, at first they thrive like crazy, but then they seem to go down hill after that. A lot of indirect sunlight will keep your plant alive it will just grow a bit on the slow side, and probably no red traps.

The VFT is left on a sunny windowsill all day really then moved into the back garden as the sun moves over...

Man! As soon as I bring a new VFT home, it wilts and shrivels on me. I don't know how you're managing this, but great job!
biggrin.gif

Neither do I! lol

Simply using distilled water and good sunlight, I think they key is to start off with a good plant?

Probably
mad.gif
That's where I run into trouble! I can't find good ones here in Alberta. So I've attempted to order from Cooks'. But by the time it gets here it will have been unroute for a week. It might be in bad shape!

Back