What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium

I wanted to make a 5-10 gallon tank into a terarrium. I know what to include inside of the terrarium (3 VFTs and a sundew), but it will not fit in the window sill, so how will I give it the proper light? I don't want to put the terrarium outside, because here in chicago, i am positive someone will surely steal it for the fun of it.

Can I put it under some kind of light? If so What kind?
Thanx a bunch!

I would not put a tank into direct lighting. You take a chance on overheating it and frying the CP's

Artificial lighting will be your safest bet.

Cool white lights left on 12-14 hours a day. You can also add a growlux bulb or wam white to get a broader spectrum of light for the plants.

But if not possible, cool white works perfectly. You should be able to find a small fixture at Home Depot, Lowes, or any hardware store.

Hope this helps!
smile.gif

Let us know what you do

what part of chicago are you from???

if you dont mind me asking.....

I am from the south side of Chicago.
I live on 47th and kedzie. How about You?

south side!!!!!

near ford city mall...right???

my boyfriend lives somewhere around the area....23rd and Western

i live an hour away from my boyfriend.....

im from the Gurnee area...where Six Flags Great America is.

The south side of Chicago? Isn't that where Bad Bad Leroy Brown is from???

I don't know who bad boy leroy brown is, but yeah jiana, i live near ford city. Actually i am about 10 min. away. maybe even less.
I still have a question though, what is a growlux bulb?
ThanX

Hey Pip!

A gro-lux bulb is a special plant light that gives off a purplish glow. Just ask the guy at the store. Some people question the value of these and stick with cool white at half the price--I'm a sucker who has all three types (cool, "warm," and gro) in his setup.

With a small tank, you will want to suspend the light fixture over the tank. PVC pipe, also available at a hardware store, will make a quick and reliable (and cheap) frame for this job in no time.

Timex makes a 3-prong timer for the light, if you do not want to switch it on and off yourself. Change the bulbs every six months.

Steve

Back