Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transplanting-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meagan,

Just to clarify, you pretty much have to feed live bugs to VFTs. The trap works in 2 phases, first the bug trips the trigger hairs and the trap closes, second, the bug continues to struggle tripping the hairs more causing the trap to seal and start digesting. The reason for the second phase is that things like wind and rain can cause the trap to close and it would be a waste of energy for the plant to go through digestion for nothing.

As for feeding, 1 bug per month is all you really need and even then it isn't a must.

Transplanting is a touchy subject, some say never do it some say do it when ever. My feelings on it are, if you are transplanting VFTs you must be very careful. If you don't care about losing the pot I recommend cutting it in half and then taking the whole mess of dirt and roots and planting it in a bigger pot, just fill in the extra space with a mix of 1:1 peat:silica sand or peat:perlite

Hope all that makes sense

Pyro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you never feed it, it will slowly start to decline health-wise over the course of a few years... Bugs are definatly the best way to go. Hey, do you have those little jumping spiders that are black and white? They arent TINY, but they are small enough for most mature VFTs... They are perfect, and I'm sure you can find them crawling on sun-beaten grey brick walls...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have some kind of weird black jumping something-or-others, but they are FAST! I can never catch them. They are in my bathroom, so maybe I can leave the VFT in there with the cover off?

Pyro... what exactly is "peat"? as in moss? I have sheet moss, will that work? I also have reptile sand and the packaging says "better than silica" is it ok do you think? I have also heard to put charcoal into closed terrariums to guard against fungus, mildew and odor, can that hurt the dudes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sphagnum peat moss.

Sheet moss will kill it.

Better than silica for reptiles... Silica is better to mix with the moss...

BTW, the moss is like dirt, its not actually growy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Megan, you're definitely on the right track. Transplanting is ok if it's absolutely necessary. If your plants are healthy then don't mess with them... they're happy. As far as feeding goes, VFT's live for months without food (bugs). As long as they look healthy I would keep up the same routine (ie watering). Just make sure you give them good water (rain, distilled, or RO) and look at them daily. They really like that.

Oh yeah... Make a mix of 50/ 50 sphagnum peat and perlite and a little charcoal is probably ok (but not necessary). Sand, better than silica, is a little suspicious. Silica is absolutely perfect. Any kind of sand with lime is bad. Bottom line... if you don't know what's in it, don't use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, I think I do need to transsplant it, or at least just put the already planted VFT in a new jar. The jar I started them in is becoming too small. I didn't antisipate them growing so fast. I soon will have my own little shop of horrors right here in Brooklyn! As well as I mentioned earlier, there is some funk growing inside the jar and scary stuff floating in the water. I rcv'd the plant in March, and I haven't watered it since. The lid on the jar stays on all the time, and it keeps everything nice and moist. So if I don't replant it, do I just surround the pot w/ silica and peat so that it isn't loose inside the jar? I have it fitted with rocks that are the size of a thumb currently.

Also...I CAUGHT A FLY! I fed them last night and couldn't wait to get up this morning to see the trap shut. Thanx for all the support!

#Moderation Mode

Moved here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone post a picture of how these mixtures and sand should look if you transplant a VFT??

thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast