What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What makes them close?

I was just wondering what makes a VFT close? I know about the small hairs in the mouth, and when that is triggered they close. What goes on inside the plant when the mouth closes, I was thinking that it was a massive explosion of cell division, but I may be wrong? Just curious
biggrin.gif

your wrong but not by far. when a prey touches the trigger hairs it sends an electrical shock through the plant that causes the cells on the trap to double their size very quickly and the trap to change the inside from convex to concave

Joel

believe that it is very rapid cell growth along the "hinge" on the trap that makes them close. the rapid cell growth requires the use of a lot of energy. this is why it isn't a good idea to falsely trip the trigger hairs just to watch the trap close.

again, i believe that's how they work...

technoracer

i beleive the eleectircal shock thing is more beleivable, so if cells divided rapidly in seconds, if this was possible in such complicated living cells as a venus fly traps, then jungles would surely have FASTER growing non-cp plants
such quick cell division is not very likely
confused.gif

nice way to put it to a kid though
wink.gif

Check this page out:   How can plants move?

Check the whole site out, it's got info on several types of CPs. Just be warned, he has a very dry sense of humor.

Back