What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outdoors

G

g2pb

I received my vft a day or two ago.  I remember looking into them months ago and read that since their natural habitat is the wild you can plan them outside.  They'll go dormat in the winter.

Well, I live in NY where it gets cold and snowy.  I'd hate to lose a plant because of weather conditions and thought I should double check.  I'm not in a hurry to plant outside, I want the plant I have now to mature.

Also, if I did plant outside I would use African Violet potting soil as a bed.

I'd appreciate any help you could give.  Thanks!

Whatever you decide, do NOT use African Violet potting soil as a bed for your VFT. It will kill your VFT faster than a freight train. Use only sphagnum peat moss either alone or with a mixture of silica sand and/or perlite. For decades, I have grown all of my VFT in 100% milled canadian sphagnum peat (the kind that you can get at any nursery).

As far as growing your VFT outdoors in NY, you should get that advice from folks living in that climate. I grow my VFTs outside, but I live in California.

Here ( Northeast IN ) you can grow them with a LOTof insulation over them, and grow them in the ground, not in a pot. Tamlin or NepG may have some helpful insite as to your climate. I dont know how close they are, but Tamlin is in Oswego, and NepG is in Alexandria ( I think) if that helps any.
smile.gif

Cole

That would be so coool - It would be like having a carnivorous back garden jungle! Watch where you step !
biggrin.gif
LOL
biggrin.gif
!

o_O I wouldn't plant a VFT that far north. They can handle cold, but not being frozen in a block of ice. If you would like Carnivorious plants that can be grown in your state, look into Round Sundew and Northern Purple Pitchure Plants (make sure you get the Northern Varients). And as was already stated, These plants require Sphagnum moss or Peat mixed with silica sand and/or perlight to survive. Also, if you plan to supliment watering, it must be distilled.

Hi g2pb, I am in Jefferson county Alexandria Bay NY 1000 Islands region. Welcome to the forums! VFT are quite easily grown in NY here and mine endured the negative temperatures we had over this December and mine were frozen down to -20F and came out of dormancy fine in my greenhouse. THese were also in pots so the risk of death was much higher than if they were in an inground bog garden. A friend in Canada that insulated his bog garden with some thick sheets of styrafoam around the borders of it behind the liner in the ground. I think they were 1 inch thick sheets if I remember correctly. Also yes, plant your VFT in a 50/50 mix of Canadian sphagnum peat moss and silica sand. The sand that I am using is silica from Quickcrete available at most DIY stores such as Lowe's. If you have any questions just ask!
smile.gif
Good luck!

When I lived in Michigan, my VFTs grew outdoors and for the winter they would be heavily insulated and would be fine every year.  In the Upper Pennisula of Michigan, where they can get 20+ feet of snow a year (yes on the ground all at the same time!
wow.gif
) they have VFTs growing wild in some of the bogs.  Obviously they have been introduced, but they are growing beautifully, and very large.  You can imagine my temptaion to take a couple, but I resisted, which is more than I can say for one of my prof's who routinely visits and brings back a few VFTs with him every time.  
mad.gif

Back