What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i steamed my flytrap and i need help

sad.gif
         i feel so stupid idiotic, and sad, BUT I NEED A SOLUTION AND IVE HEARD OF ONE JUST NOT SURE HOW, I basically steamed my plants by putting in sun and water was steaming, the are dark from the roots, like brown, they are dead.
i heard u can cut the leaf and plant it in the soil to get little leaflingz can someone tell me how because i dont wanna waste money and i do feel sad for my dead plants  
sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

Raw, you need a healthy leaf to propegate a plant from it. It sounds like they were all cooked.
sad.gif
If the leaves are cooked your best bet is to see if the plant will come back from the bulb. It's possible the soil stayed cool enough that the bulb survived. Keep it watered and see if it will send up new growth. Not sure how long that might take though.

ok ok i accidently made two posts ofthis , so ill say this again, the leafs are fine and green and if u didnt see the bottom theyd look alive, just the bottom is brown and squishy but the actual leafs are alive, I NEVER NEW THESE PLANTS HAD BULBS ? wow i might have a chance THANKS !
smile.gif

They aren't bulbs like Tulips or Hyancinth. It's just made up of the bases of the leaves.

I've done it before when I had a dome on my VFT and the sun came out while I was at school. I had every leaf wilt and die -looked like boiled lettuce - but a new leaf came up just 2 weeks later. Might be longer for you if it's in shock, so unless the whole bulb goes black and squishy, you'll likely be alright. Be patient, there's a good chance it will recover.
biggrin.gif

The only way you can steam your VFTs, is if you had a cover over them. If so, remove the cover or taking them out of the terrarium.

Place your pot in a large water tray (or a larger undrained pot) with at least 1 inch water level if it's really that hot where you live. Check on the water level daily.

If the above suggestion does not work for you, place your VFT container in a shaded area during the hot afternoon. A VFT survives fine with only 3-4 hours of direct sun (sunrise or sunset).

Back