Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Growing in cold office...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to go with the timer deal.

I have another question, how long does it usually take for it to fully digest an insect that is about as long as its trap? Because it looks like its got a death grip on the roach I gave it and wont let go! Also I figure just about any insect will do, are roaches ok? Or should I just stick to regular flies?

Theres also a small spot where some green stuff is growing, is that fungus ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can take 1 to 3 weeks for an insect as large as a trap to digest, slower in spring and quicker in summer I find.
    I don't know if cockroaches (yuck - I have a thing about roaches) are that good a food because of the hard shell. If the trap turns black you'll know not to try it again. Soft insects are usually best.

I don't know about the fungus - what kind of green stuff is it and where is it?

The 'green stuff' should be moss. Nothing to worry about. Is it kind of bright green? Most plants will develop some live moss around the plant.

If you feel uncomfortable with it...you can gently pull it out. It should come right out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, its bright green. I kind of like how it looks and contrasts the red flytrap. If it does not harm the plant then its fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried having on of my traps in my office at work, but it went down hill quickly. I guess the traps like a more natural enviroment. It lost all it's traps and started just sprouting leaves with out traps. Growth rate also slowed. Brought it back home and it's on it way to a full recovery and it's first trap since loosing them all has only just opened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wado, the same thing seems to be happening to me as well. There was only one damaged trap when I got it, but since its had about four more traps then went dead...

Forgot to mention that four new traps are starting to grow in different places =)

(Edited by kuno at 2:36 pm on Feb. 10, 2002)

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK somebody correct me if i am wrong, but when they don't produce traps its a lighting problem. I have the same thing going on with one of my large vfts it's got a new little baby plant growing from its side and the large leaves from the momma plant were covering it up so it wasn't getting any light and the baby plant doesnt have traps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFTs divide periodically and produce new little traps and yes the lack of traps could be because of lack of light. It could be just because it is early spring though, where new wide leaves and tiny traps are required.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12