User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: If your vft is flowering look here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I have 8 big flytraps in flower and hope for lots of seed. Last year I sent most of my seed to the ICPS seedbank, and Carnibank.

I have noticed the plants do slow down trap production a bit. The plants in flower put out about 1 or 2 traps during the same time non-flowerers will send out 3 to 6. A first this year - a red dragon starting to flower. Yah, I know it will produce "Typical" seeds, but it's still cool looking.

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I know nothing about VFT flowering and seed production whatsoever. Why in the blue .... does a red dragon produce typical seed? Does the seed undergo gene alterations while in production or sumthin'...did I hear that somewhere...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The registration information for the cultivar Dionaea 'Akai Ryu' (or 'Red Dragon' in English) specifies "vegetative reproduction" (cloning). The reason is to maintain the unique characteristics of the original selected red VFT. 'Red Dragon' is one of the few cultivars that when self-pollinated produce consistently red plants. I have grown hundreds of seedlings from selfed 'Red Dragon' (F2 generation) and all turned out red. Because of this, I wonder how many of the plants called 'Red Dragon' that are in circulation are the original clone, rather than seed produced offspring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a heads up for all you people who think flowering kills your plant, I had two that made 5 flowers in late july since they were newly bought ones and I just harvested the seeds (around 80 from each plant) they don't grow quite as much during the flowering time, but they do grow almost as fast as no flower at all. The trap size is about average, but again not as big as the others that I trimed the stalk off to compare to. So overall, a flowering VFT isn't a big deal at all. Evene though mine flowered at a very bad time, it kept right up with the rest. SO mainly, the flowering = death or a very weak plant is a myth.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, are your VFT's kept outside? The closer they mimic "natural" conditions the more likely they will do fine. Kept in terraria, in artificial light, and whatever else a lot of us have done when we were kids with oir erspective first VFT (tap water, no dormancy period, keeping them perpetually covered) adds enough stress to their baseline stress - and puts them over the edge. I did all the afore-mentioned faux pas until I stumbled onto this discussion forum. Mine are kept outside, south-facing, catching their own bugs. They flower... they clump... they live on. Happy ending!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with peter. This is the plant I allowed to flower this year and there are no ill effects:
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agreethe effects of flowering on a healthy plant are negligeable just a slight slow in growth and more of a habit of clumping.

My vft 'typical' wich I allowed to flower and set seed with 2 stalks on ne plant is still doing great and now has like 7-8 growth points! I will let any healthy vft flower for now on I believe. We need more genetic diversity in these plants. I mean all those plants you pick up at home depot type stores are like what 5 different clones in all? Where`s the diversity in that?

But with seed grown plants you get that nice variancey,wich if these plants ever go extinct in the wild we will need for re-introduction.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking that maybe the reason a lot of VFTs die when they flower is because of a drain of phosphorus and potasium. Would it help the plant stay vigorous if you fed it something high in potasium like a firefly?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast