What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about traps turning red!

• Thread starter myke66
  • Start date
I have a silly question. In order for traps to turn red, do the inside of the traps themselves need to get alot of light, or does the whole plant? Alot of the traps on my VFT's are facing down, or out, but not up where the light is comming from.  
tounge.gif

hehe, i was wondering about this question. i believe this needs more reasearch. i think the light has to hit the area being red, and my traps that are not facing the light are red on the side that is. small traps that have thin lobes on my plant has reddness on the outside and inside. Zongyi

The traps will change color when given enough light. If a trap on a plant is kept in the shade, that trap will have little or no coloration. Traps that are in optimum lighting conditions will have coloration. Keep in mind that there are forms of the Venus Flytrap that do not have any coloration or only turn a very light pinkish color.

wow.gif

that helps, but does the inside of the trap itself need to get the light, or just the trap.

Hi Mike
smile.gif

The whole plant needs good light. It doesn't really matter what position each trap is in. Some face up, some side ways, some twist downward. But bear in mind that as far as trap coloration goes, light isn't the only factor. There is a genetic predisposition as to how red the inside of the trap gets. For some flytraps, they won't turn a deep red no matter how much light they get. I have some that are just pinkish in the middle and some that are a deep red. All of them are in the sun for most of the day.

Suzanne

Like PAK said. I think I have two different common vfts in one pot. One turns bright red as seen in my avatar and the the other turns a little pinkish. That is one of my favorites besides the dente I had two years ago (that was the bomb vft - btw I got that from pft).

Travis

Back