Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VFT Dormacy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you just keep it outside, it will go dormant when it needs to. No woorries for outdoor growers of these plants regarding dormancy: the short days will initiate dormancy.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Ohio. Here the temperature gets well below the teen mark. Is it possible to leave my vfts outside in these temps?? Do vfts need big pots, or just large enough be covered by the leaves?

Otis

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Otis.. Welcome to the forum.

The answers to these and many other questions about vfts can be found here: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

Good luck with your plants
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I've been wondering the same thing myself. All indicators point to a severe winter for us in Virginia, and the earliest I'd be able to put the plants outside for dormancy is about mid-late december (Visiting relatives for thanksgiving, won't be home till xmas). I'm a bit hesitant to use fridge dormancy, since my parents, mostly my mom, have black thumbs when it comes to indoor plants, so I fear their lack of attention could lead to my plants succumbing to mold (I also don't trust them to be careful applying fungicide).

The plants would be put into dormancy in Roanoke, Va. Some monthly averages:
    December: 49-30 F
    January:45-27 F
    February: 49-29 F
    March: 58-36 F

It's not so much the temperatures as the potential for winter weather that worries me. Usually in the winter we tend to get snow and ice, if anything at all, and temps sometimes dip into the teens at night. Would VFTs and Sarras be able to tolerate this? Could they be brought inside during bad weather/ insanely cold night, or would they suffer temperature shock? Is december too late, or would I just have to thaw them out later? I've already reduced the photoperiod to about 8-7 hours a day, and the VFTs seem to be putting out smaller leaves again, and my D. rotundifolia has already withdrawn into a hibernacula. Thanks for any advice!

The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cynic,
    December is pretty late for starting dormancy, your plants should already be well into the process by now. I have never needed to do dormancy in the fridge, so I cant help you much with that. I have read advice from other growers that its not THAT hard to do, I think people are making way more out of it than they really need to. Your temps look a little on the low range but they should be ok if you bury the pots and use lots of mulch. Bringing the plants indoors on the coldest nights is not a problem at all (I could swear I said that already in this thread lol) I routinely bring my plants indoors when I know the temps will drop below 30 F.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFT guy in Sj

What do you mean "bury the pot and use lots of mulch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Otis,
    Basicly I mean insulate the pot as much as possible. A small pot sitting exposed to freezing temps will freeze solid relatively quickly, however if its burried and covered with mulch, the insulating factor of the mulch and the ground will protect the small pot from freezing. Think of it like this: Take an ice cube tray and fill only 1 cell with water, then take a large pan and fill it with water to the same depth of the cube cell, them put them side by side in the freezer. Which will freeze solid first? Why?

Steve

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My VFTs and sarras stay outdoors year 'round...no matter what the temps are. I've had my VFT pots frozen and the plants have been fine. You can always put them in a protected place (like a porch, next to your house or under steps) which might help if you're worrying about low temps. You don't need to worry about the light factor. You could also mulch around the pots to keep them from freezing.

Just remember these plants grow outdoors in temperate areas and withstand a variety of temps. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast