What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie questions and a pic of the plant

Im pretty new to growing flytraps, the plant is has been in my care for a couple weeks by now. I've read the sarracenia.com FAQ on the plant.

fac80fc6.jpg

Here it is, its grown quite a few new leaves since this picture. The pot seems to consist of about six plants.

Here are the questions.

The FAQ doesn't reccomend repotting plants. Is it possible for them to overcrowd the pot then?

I've noticed quite a bit of fungus growth since the last week. Its growing on black traps and even on the "shells" inside the traps when they open. The FAQ says not to worry about it, as it won't kill your plant unless it is weak. Second opinion? Also, is it okay to feed those traps?

How can you tell your plant is going into dormancy. The plant is still producing leaves but these are much taller and stiff looking than the others.

What insects work best? I've currently been using pgmy grasshoppers-the bakcyard is filled with them.

Hi Nflytrap.. Welcome to the forums
smile.gif

First off let me say that your plant looks great.
smile.gif

Now as for your questions, here we go..

1. VFTs will do just fine in a small pot. The general concensus on this is that small pots= larger leaves and traps. Larger pots= more offshoots and bushier plants. Your plants look fine in their pot, I would leave them be.

2. Clip off the black parts as soon as you see them to help eliminate possible fungal attack. It "shouldnt" be a problem, but as is so common in nature, there is no such thing as "always" or "never". Keep an eye on them and if it spreads or appears to be endangering the plant then further steps will be needed.

3. When the plants begin to go dormant, which they should be doing now, they will begin to produce much shorter and wider leaves that will tend to grow flat to the soil. More info on your location will help us help you more on this.

4. Insects are not "needed" for VFT growth, they are merely a nutritional supplament. Whenever possible leave your plant outside in the sun, and it will catch plenty all on its own. And I have read that worms are particularly poor choices as food, so I dont recommend you feed worms.

Good luck with your plant
Steve

Hello NFlytrap

Welcome to the forums and congrats on getting your first flytrap.
smile.gif

I didn't notice any fungus on your plant but maybe it didn't show up in the photo. Don't mistake black or blackening traps on your plant for fungus. The traps blacken naturally and die off after several feedings. As Steve mentioned, just cut the black parts off. I don't know where you are growing your plant, but they appreciate good air circulation which helps prevent mold and fungus. IF you keep it in a terrarium, just make sure its kept open so air can get to it.

Stick around...you'll learn a lot and soon you'll be wanting more CPs.
smile.gif

Suzanne

One other thing I would like to add. With dormancy season rapidly approaching, your existing traps/ leaves will die off rather quickly. Don't mistake this for the plants death. The plant is simply ridding itself of the short lived summer traps/leaves in favor of the hardier winter ones.

Steve

This pic was taken about a week before the fungus problem. The blackened traps grow white fuzz on them. One shell even has a couple of what appear to be springtails living amongst the fungus. Guess I'll be removing the dead leaves.

Wait....you can see a white blotch on one of the dead leaves on the bottom right, just next to the really big trap that isn't all the way in the photo....which has eaten 3 grasshoppers so far.

The plant came in a little mini terrarium, which I promptly removed it from and probaby couldn't fit it back in if I wanted to now without snapping off a couple leaves. Im in the Central Valley in CA, where its awful dry(I remember just stepping off the plane at an airport in Atlanta....whoa! Im feeling sweaty already!). So I got a mini skippy PB jar and poked a feel holes with a hot nail. Should I get a larger container, or allow the plant to air out after the sun has went down. Its currently growing a couple inches back from a windowsill.

So should I make a bigger "terrarium?" or remove it altogether and set up a moat beneath it?

LOl, I've already been looking at the other CPs which you guys posted. Sarracenia and the sundews look pretty interesting..... :;)

Thanks for the info! This plant has been providing lots of viewing interest so far!

Ok Central Valley I am gong to take as Stockton, Tracy, ect ect...? I am in San Jose, and our average RH in summer is 20-90, I grow VFTs, Sars, and many Drosera outdoors full time here with no problems at all. The Central Valley tends to be slightly warmer than here so I would suggest shading your plants on the really hot days. Other than the heat risk, VFTs, Sarrs, and quite a few species of Drosera will thrive in your climate. You should not need any "terrarium" covering at all..  such a small environment is likely to cause severe overheating and posible death of the plants. Outside, uncovered in full morning/ early afternoon sun works best for me.

Steve

I don't know if these are available nationwide, but the major grocery stores around here sell Ozarka Natural Spring Water in clear-plastic 1 gallon bottles. Spring water is NOT good for CPs, so either drink it or give it to non cp plants. You can cut the top or bottom off the bottle as desired, then all you have to do is place it over your plant, pot and all. Cutting the top off of the jug and placing it bottom up seems to collect light better, but vent holes will be needed if you keep your plant in direct sunlight. Cutting the bottom off the jug and removing the cap and handle provides a pre-made vent.

Alan

Never heard of any of those cities....but then again, Im not the one who drives anyway!

The temps here are in the 30-40 degree range in winter, 90-110 degrees in summer. What would be able to survive then?

As an interesting note, I decided to remove the cover for the night, in the morning, the tallest leaves had become floppy and thin. I quickly watered the plant(distilled water) and put it back under the conver to see what would happen. When I got back home at 2.40....the plant was almost back to normal. I had set up a little moat with pebbles aroudn the plant too.

Have I missed something?

Hi Nflytrap,
Your plant going limp is due to the quick climate change. If you leave the cover on and want to take it off, do so SLOWLY (over a few days or so). If you go too quickly it can go into shock. You want it to be able to acclimate to the new levels of light, humidity, and temp of the outside world.

Good luck with your plant!
Cole:)

Does that mean to expose it to outside for gradually increasing periods of time.....like say 1/2 and hour one day, an hour the next several days later try 2 hours a day.

How does it look when the plant dies back into dormancy?

You got it. The leaves need time to toughen up and get used to conditions that can change drastically from day to day and moment to moment (unlike the inside your home).

smile.gif

BCK

Here is a couple pics of one of my VFTs to give you an idea what to expect.

VFT1013_013.jpg

vftdormant1101003.jpg

See how the traps are all on much shorter leaves that lay flat to the soil? Thats what they should look like.

Steve

Hmmm, those pics are pretty interesting. I expected all the leaves to die and for it to be just a pot of sphagnum for a couple months.

Nooooooo.. those leaves will stay on the plant all winter long. There wont be much growth (if any) for a couple months once the plant goes all the way into its dormancy. Those leaves will still continue photosynthesis over the winter, but the traps wont be very usefull for bug catching.

Steve

So whne winter comes, I put the plant outside where it will get some sun, yet still remain cold?

BTW, should I worry about frosts? We get them here during winter(zone 8).

Yes. Put them someplace where they will recieve some sunlight and some bright shade in daytime, preferably protected from rain. I keep mine on a table under an awning beside the house which fortunately faces East so I get a couple hours of morning sun. VFTs can handle overnight lows into the 20s but if you are worried you can bring them in on those nights and it wont hurt them.

Steve

I am confused. My plants are showing signs of dormancy as described by Steve.

My question now is what to do now.  As I mentioned before, I live in Texas, and I've heard varied advice as to how to care for my plants during dormancy, including putting them in the fridge bareroot and putting them in the fridge while still in the pot.

If it helps, these are the mean temperatures in my area:
Nov    55
Dec    47
Jan    44
Feb    50

rock.gif

Looks like the temps I get in late spring here in Colorado
biggrin.gif
.  I'd try growing them outside as much as possible with those temps.  They aren't too different from those of their native habitat:  Wilmington, NC

smile.gif

BCK

Butthead, I agree with BCK.. leave them alone..  Just leave them outside in an area protected from rain and make sure they dont dry out.  They should do fine in those conditions.

Good luck
Steve

Back