What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darn Fungus Gnats

I have part of a 3 liter bottle over my VFT seedling.  I noticed over the last two days that it became full of fungus gnats.
sad.gif

I took it carefully outside and got rid of them outdoors, but I hope they don't spread.  I do hope I can grow enough sundews to take care of them naturally.

I'm considering transplanting my single seedling (I can't find the other two seeds any more) and nuking the 4" pot in the microwave.  
mad.gif

jhaluska, I had the same problem, except they were on my Cephalotus Follicularis. I place my D. binata overhead, and so far, it has controled the gnats. I only saw one gnat last night in the pot, but we will see if this will work long-term or not. Hopefully some of this helps.

I had that smae problem with my orchids and bought a sundew in hopes it would eliminate a few of them.....I actually killed about 7-8 of the adults a day and grew to an impressive 3 inches tall that first year...then it bloomed and died....
mad.gif
.....but they do work very well....soon I only saw 1 gnat per week....

Are they that bad? I never had them...
rock.gif
They do not eat your vft do they? Stick a sundew by them.
wink.gif

Fungus gnats are usually more of an annoyance than anything else, however, in large numbers, the larva can cause problems. They have been known to damage roots if they can't find anything else to eat. I have noticed in some of my pots with leaf cuttings, especially D. binata, that they eat the dead parts of the cutting right down the middle of the piece of leaf leaving the sides alone.

BCK

Back