What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing VFT's from seeds

M

Mokamuree

Silly me, I bought a cluster of VFT seeds from a seed company online. I will still try to grow them (yes, even after reading the faqs). I was wondering since that we are in or near the dormant season already, should I try to plant the seeds? Or wait until the temperature rises? Also, I received around 15 seeds. Does each seed have the possibility of produced a VFT with many leaves? I can't make a decision from the pictures I've seen. Anywho, thanks.

Well, there are 2 schools of thought on this subject. One says plant them now and put them under growlights indoors. If the seed has been properly stored, there is a good chance of germination and growth. The other says wait until January or so, then sow them and put them directly outside so they will recieve a natural stratification and should sprout and grow when the conditions are optimal.

All seeds have the potential of becomming mature plants. Keep in mind that VFTs are a very slow growing plant from seed. They wont produde large bug catching traps for a couple years at least.

The viability of seed depends greatly on how the seeds are handled prior to sowing. Very fresh seed will generally have a good germination rate. Older seed, especially if not refrigerated in an airtight container, will have a much lower success rate.

Good luck
Steve

ps.. Welcome to the forums
smile.gif

Steve

Back