What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the plant die if not fed 2 times a month?

no, your vft will not die if you don't feed it exactly twice every month. it has been stated that many vft's in the wild will never catch a meal. i do believe that your plant will grow better if it does catch a few meals every month.

peace,
technoracer

[b said:
Quote[/b] (technoracer @ Nov. 29 2003,6:42)]
Can i catch a fly and put it in it's mouth? or watever its called :/

or you can go to my care sheet which is further up

Insects are like fertiliser to a VFT and while it will grow faster if it catches insects, it gains all of its growing energy from photosynthesis. If you never give it insects it will still do fine.

To answer your question specifically, yes you can catch a fly and give it to your vft. Use a toothpick or somthing to simulate a short struggle by your bug. This stimulates the trap to fully close and seal up. I've found it usually works without this step, but sometimes the trap will just open back up without digesting the bug.

Capslock

overfeeding is a larger problem then underfeeding

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darcie @ Dec. 21 2003,11:23)]overfeeding is a larger problem then underfeeding
I disagree... I honestly dont believe you can overfeed a healthy VFT. My plants are grown out in my garden and the only time a trap isnt closed around prey is if its exhausted itself already. Ive never counted, but I would say my plants caught in excess of 200 bugs each over the summer. They are quite adept at what they do.

Steve

You may be right Steve for plants that are used to catching alot of bugs, it is the best thing you can do for them. Many plants from TC though are not great catchers and can be overwhelmed by too many bugs at first. They need to be worked up to gluttony!

SF

Back