Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: first year of dormacy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, would it be best to physically wrap the pots in the blanket, or just cover them, like over the plants? Or should I only do that when it snows/ices/whatevers?
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Cynic81 @ Dec. 12 2003,12:10)]so, would it be best to physically wrap the pots in the blanket, or just cover them, like over the plants? Or should I only do that when it snows/ices/whatevers?
    I would cover them with a blanket or other insulating material on the really cold days/nights to help protect them from frost and freezing. Not sure about ice, but snow doesn't bother them as much as long periods of freezing temps. Especially plants in small pots. People that have their plants in an outdoor bog or large pots have less loss due to long periods of freezing than those of us that have ours in a couple of 3" or 4" pots.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    BCK
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may take a large container of some sort, place the pots in it, and fill it with some spare potting soil or mulch. I know there's some extra soil in the garage. Or owuld compost work better (heat from decomposition)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the temps in your garage during the winter and is there a place in it that gets some sunlight? I'm thinking you might be able to keep them in the garage if it's not too cold and has some sunlight during the winter. You can also use it on the extra cold days to protect your plants. Possibly by covering them with a light bulb under the cover for warmth. Just be careful that the bulb will not catch fire to whatever the cover is.

Quote[/b] ]I may take a large container of some sort, place the pots in it, and fill it with some spare potting soil or mulch. I know there's some extra soil in the garage. Or would compost work better (heat from decomposition)?
    Just having the extra soil would help by buffering the plants from rapid changes in soil temp. If you use compost you will need to make sure that nutrients from the compost don't leach into the CP pots and that the compost doesn't get into the CP pots.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    BCK
    ---Steve Allinger---

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garage is in no way an option. No windows, and I need my lightbulb for my Binatas, Capensis, and Utric (which are coming back with me to Richmond in January). I'll just get a cheap box or something and fill it w/ sphagnum from Lowes, and place the pots in that. Of course, I think my parents have a few spare styrofoam coolers lying around...

Near the sliding glass door in the kitchen is probably best. Gets light, is a bit cooler than room temp, and convenient to the back deck.

Let me just thank you now for all the help so far. And sorry for hijacking the thread [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] I hope this is helping you fre8train.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Dec. 07 2003,10:09)]Cynic,
    I think the shock of moving plants in and out of the house can't be much worse than that of whacking the leaves off and placing it in a ziplock bag in the fridge, which is what some people do.
    Actually, thats NOT the way most people do the fridge method! (or at least..they shouldnt be doing it that way!)
    for anywhere where the winters are too harsh and cold, the trick is to leave your plants outdoors ALL season, right up through October and into November! give them a solid month or two of cooling temps and cold crisp autumn weather..
    then, by November when the temps begin to turn TOO cold the plants are already naturally dormant on their own!
    *then* they get their leaves cut off and put in the fridge!
    and they are already fast asleep at that point..
    and since they are already fully dormant, cutting off all the leaves does them no harm at all..
    then the fridge maintains a cold temp just *above* freezing, which is far warmer and less harsh than the outdoor temps and snow and ice..
    So the fridge isnt used to *induce* dormancy..it should be used to *maintain* dormancy once the plants have already gone dormant naturally outdoors!

just wanted to clear that up..
    yes, taking a growing plant that was used to 70-80 degrees, and is still in full growth-mode, and suddenly sticking it in the fridge would be bad!
    which is why IMO its bad to grow VFTs and Sarracenia indoors, if you can avoid it..nature is far better at inducing and keeping dormancy..
    only use the fridge if your winter conditions are much colder or much warmer than the Carolinas..but AFTER thay are already dormant!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Dec. 16 2003,06:34)]Actually, thats NOT the way most people do the fridge method! (or at least..they shouldnt be doing it that way!)
    Sorry Scot,
    Did not mean to imply that was how most people did the fridge method (I did say some [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img] ). My method is the pretty much the same as yours. The biggest difference is that I only cut off dead leaves never the green ones. My variation has worked fine for me for years.
    ---Steve Allinger---

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what are the cold tolerances for these guys? Because overnight temps over here are routinely dipping into the upper 20's. I may just acclimate them over january and stick them in the fridge when I leave. Unfortunately my parents have been less than willing to provide the maintenance effort needed for outdoor dormancy. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] Not that I blame them ,but it still stinks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast