What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Hi, I am very new to CP's, having killed all four of my VFT's in my youth (tapwater, lighting, air circulation, & flowering). I swore I'd never buy another one. Then I saw a batch of VFT's at Home Depot and did a spontaneous thing. That owas in June. The plant has doubled its leaf trap size (1/2-1") and never flowered. It is now and has been since November residing in between my kitchen windows. All growth has stopped and only a few leaves have blackened. I think it's asleep (shhh..) Right next to it is another container with the three smaller plants, also, apparently, asleep. They are obviously younger plants, purchased in September. I've also prchased Sarracenia Purpurea, Rubra, and Cobra Lilies in October & November. They are not big or ollder plants. What is the cutoff or criteria for determining as to whether dormancy should be attempted? I live in Reading, PA, if that helps. Thanx

Jim
how close are your plants to the window?
does it get cool by the windows?
sounds like your plants may have just gone dormant by themselves,
which is good!
the main concern I would have is that they are too warm.
If you put them right up next to the glass, the ambient air around them might drop into the 50's or 60's..which would help..
(this is one case where a drafty window would be GOOD!
wink.gif

I would just leave them alone for now, if their growth has stopped or slowed, they are probably in a semi-dormancy..
they will probably be ok for this winter..(probably..but this isnt an ideal dormancy..but its probably ok)
IF its somewhat cool by the window, I would just leave them alone..
but if you have very well sealed windows, and its actually 72 degrees in their window, then I might consider a fridge dormancy..

let us know what the air temp around the plants is..that would be the major factor in deciding what to do with them this winter..

Scot

They are snug between the outside window and the inside window. My goal was to derive the cold from the outside with the protection from the inside window. In addition i wanted to give it the night and day temp and light fluctuations of nature. I DO need to get a thermometer in there and I'll bet you are right about the temps being in the 50's. I think they did achieve dormancy because the three developing leaves never progressed and the mature leaves are slowly but surely yellowing / blackening. but I it could be a bit cooler, t compensate for the greenhouse effect.

Back