What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small Traps......

Hi everybody, the traps of my VFT always grow small. When the traps coming out from the center of the plant, they're not like the pics of you guys have shown. The traps grow much more smaller. HeLLLLLlp!
sad.gif

It could be possibly 4 things.

1. It could be going dormant

2. It could be that the VFT isn't old enough to produce big traps.

3. It is being attacked by some certain pest

4. It could have some sort of root rot.

I think it would be better if you added a litte more description on the plant. Like how much light, how much water, when did you buy, how long have you had?

I think 1 & 2 may not be the reasons. The traps are big when I bought my VFT

i think that means that there is not enough light

Hi,
Big leaves and small traps that are pale green with little red coloration means the plant does not have sufficient light.
Whereas, small leaves and small traps that somewhat resemble a winter rosette indicates that the plant is going into dormancy.

What temperature and conditions are you growing them under?

Here are some VFT from my collection, ideally for the rosettes that form in late summer, they somewhat hug themselves to the ground and the traps are very much bigger than the petioles.
106427119TMCTgG_ph.jpg

The main thing is ... be patient
smile.gif
. Your VFT may not make huge, bug-munching trpas untill next year or so. Just one question though, could you tell us if you have your plant in dormancy right now?

Cole

One of my flytraps always has small traps. Could just be the individual

I' pretty darn sure it's insufficient photo periods. Dormancy is not an issue just yet.

wow.gif
 I'm using a 9W fluorescent light for my VFT and turn on for almost 12 hours every day, and the traps are still small in size. They don't even have any colorations in the middle of the traps since the the traps were blood red in color when I bought it last year.
The problem of light?
rock.gif
rock.gif

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm using a 9W fluorescent light for my VFT and turn on for almost 12 hours every day
Yep. You need a lot more light.

Nothing beats the natural sun.

9 watts will not do , try 40 watts and you'll get you results , right now what you could do is put your plant outside for natural light or buy the window sill if its way too cold .

Back