Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potting Media Mistake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

I bought two beautiful plants from ********** 2 months ago....1 was a prepotted green dragon and the other was barefoot green dragon.....the potted plant I placed in a sunny windowsill and is doing very well.....the bareroot did fine for 2 weeks then slowly declined then seemed to go dormant....it also looked burned....

I could not figure it out for the life of me....what have I done to this poor plant.....the light, water, and position were almost identical.....then it hit me...playsand...I had made a 50/50 mix of playsand to peat....and my local water is hard.....so I got some Sanivac(10% phosphoric acid cleaning solution used on lime deposits) and tested a small pinch of sand....it practically exploded....my playsand was contaminated! IT WAS FULL OF NASTY DISSOLVED minerals! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]

How could I be so foolish...how could I make a stupid error like that! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img] AGGGGRRRH!

So stick with nice safe perlite or test a small smaple of your sand before you use it......otherwise you to might see your pride and joy slowly start to wither and die for no apparent reason...... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/ghostface.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoooaah, not good. If I were you, I'd go to Home Depot and pick up a 50 pound bag of sandblasting sand. I have had no problems so far with that stuff.

SF

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

how much is a fifty pound bag of sandblasting sand? Do you have to rince it out with RO water? or is it good to go right out the bag?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think mine was only a couple of bucks. I don't remember the exact price, as I got mine so long ago. It has lasted FOREVER!! I didn't wash out my sand (I know, I'm lazy) and have had no problems.

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`m SO sorry to hear that!
    pond boy saddened.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I think I might go for some sand-blasting sand.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Saturday job is at Home Depot. I've seen two play sands - one is throrgh the garden department and the other through building materials. There are several products under the Quikrete label, but I don't recall one called sand-blasting sand. what is the exact name of that particular sand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are different brands/manufacturers, they are all quartz/silica sands and the label will mention the grit size and that they are specifically for sandblasting.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast