User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: pots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how deep do you need a pot to be for a vft? I have about twenty or so in a one gallon container, and I figure I can get away with something more shallow, any suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2-4 inches would be good 3 is ok .

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two-inch deep pot for a mature VFT??! I disagree. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

I think that is way too shallow. I think from 3" on up to whatever you like the size of your pot to be, is fine. Mine are all in 4" pots except for one large pot that is about an 8" deep pot.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that even a 3" is really way too shallow for a mature VFT. Figure a mature bulb about 1" tall at least and buried about 1" under the soil surface. So the roots are stuck in the area below the top 2". Also figure that you will probably not have the soil all the way to the top of the pot. Most people leave 1/2" there roughly. So if you figure all that out.. a 3" pot leaves 1/2" for roots!

I would suggest minimum 4" deep 5 or 6 would be even better.

T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so basically the one gallon pot I have a gaggle (I mean upwards of 30) of vfts is in, is ok, or is it too deep? Thanks, Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi MCRW, I think a one gallon pot would be sufficient. I believe I have notes where VFT roots have been known to penetrate 1 ft. I know a great gardening saying, " A pot cannot be too big for a plant" sums up my basic belief on growing the plants very healthy and "undisturbed", as I believe BugWeed was saying. Right Bugweed ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typically, I like to grow mine in 4 to 8 inch pots, but they can live in stuff you can't imagine. My oldest plant resides in my mini-bog that was created through the smarts of a good friend, Mike Ross. It has a water pump constantly feeding the soil above the holding tank, being fed with an Aqua Clear submersible pump model 201. The model 201 has a waterflow adjustment to make the flow whatever you want it to be. When I was in the Green Swamp 30+ years ago, I would dig a small trench in the ground to gauge water speed and flow rates. I took readings of all kinds. I realized the water flow in the part of the swamp I was in was very slow, but steady. All I did was copy that in my bog garden, and all my VFT's are very healthy. Soil depth in the bog garden is 3", superthrived once in early spring, and left alone to grow and prosper. All I do is add water, and talk sweetly to my babies. Since my 28 year veteran VFT is so huge, I'll give its dimensions as she was in mid summer last year when seen by the ICPS membership coordinator, Cindy Slezak. Petiole length was 8", semi prostrate, its width was10 3/4 ", leaf blade (trap) were2 1/4 and 2 1/2 inches. So you see, a VFT in a condition that agrees with it, be the pot 2" or 6" deep, or one gallon, the plant will respond to its environment to the best of its ability. 2' pots are pushing it, but they can stay alive for some time before you can or do repot them. Most of all, enjoy them for their uniqueness, and for some of the most beautiful and diverse trap colors, growing habits, trap sizes, and shapes you'll ever see. As my friend, Peter D'Amato sez--- Grow Dem Plants!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very helpfull reply Bugweed, I'll try to grow my plants in the best condition I can give them! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org