What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question.

My plants went into dormancy around mid-Novemer. When do I set them in the sun again and how do I know when it's time?

wow.gif

Valentines day is standard
smile.gif

Oh. Thanks. I have another question now...

When would be a good time to repot them to minimize shock?

I only repot mine every five years, and haven't heard a single VFT complain yet. Not even my 28 year old specimen I got from Carolina Biological Supply Co. way back when. I place my VFT's out the 1st of March, and the rest is up to them. My oldest plant had 2 and 1/4 and 2 and 1/2 inch traps. Happy plant! She has been seen with these traps by Cindy Slezak, the ICPS membership coordinator, who commented on her gigantic proportions. They can, if happy with their environment actually get quite large.

Are you sure you have 2.5 inch traps? That is phonomenal! The largest recorded trap I've witnessed is Mikes 2inchers. Please post a pic Bugweed!
smile.gif

Not so phenomenal. Just an old plant happy with its growing conditions. When you have it right, your plants, be they sarracenia, neps, sundews, pings , or any of the rest, prepare to be suprised and delighted. You will see things you don't read about in books. I don't take pictures with a digital camera. Being older than the dirt the plants live in may account for this. I've been growing for a long time, and they never cease to amaze me. My D. regia got up to 31" leaves one year, with dew drops a full 1/4 inch across. The plant was beautiful and astonishing! I was pretty proud of myself, when the plant, for whatever reason, just suddenly died. I had to ask my friend Pete D'Amato for another one. hope I catch it in time this time, but there is a good group here, and they'll see me through. If I can ever learn how to use a digital and download pics, I would love for you to see my babies! You'd love my Schnells Ghost.

inches, not CM?  ... I have a hard time seeing ANY vft reaching that size of trap consistently, giant or not.  However, if you keep them rootbound I can see it being a little more likely... but not really....

...The sundew is withing reason, although you shouldn't be surprised that it dropped dead. That species is known to crash when it gets too big. That's the only reason you don't see more big ones.

Replant right when you take your plant out of dormancey to reduce shock and only replant when it is ovious that your plant is outgrowing it's pot.

Back