Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: flowers already

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody have a flower stalk pushing up, The bud is about to open. THis is from one of my plants that I did not put through dormancy It stayed under the skylight all year never going outside to recieve a cold dose of dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not unusual for VFT to begin to produce flower stalks this time of year when the plant is grown in locations where it is not in deep dormancy. My plants that I grow in an unheated greenhouse tend to initiate flower buds all winter, even though night-time temperatures get near freezing -- whereas my VFTs growing outside are still showing no signs of new growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one of my VFTs is sending up two flower stalks, so if one of my butterwarts, so you are not alone
    I can stop growing CPs anytime I want!! Can I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three flytraps blooming right now. I am going to try for seed, but it is not recommened to do so if you are a beginner. My plants have been well fed over the last couple of months and have a nice energy reserve, which they will need.

To keep your flytrap healthy, it is recommended that the flower stalks be cut off when they are about 3 inches tall.
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick,

To add a question to your post. I read in Don Schnell's book not to trim a flower stalk until the first flower has bloomed. He states that if the flower stalk is trimmed earlier, the plant will attempt to send up another stalk therefore using up even more energy reserves!!!

Now the question is -- Nick or Bobz or anyone -- is this the experience you've also had with flower stalks? Or is that fact simply focused towards a certain type of flower stalk.
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dente and red dragon are sending up stalks. As an answer to you question Odysseus, My common sent one up some time ago, and I cut it the moment I saw it; it sent three more up, one right after I cut the other. I later let it almost flower, and finally snipped; it didn't send up another.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My practice has been to let them do what they do. If a plant flowers, I try to inspire viable seed by making sure each flower gets plenty of pollen on its receptive stigma. Mine have been blooming and setting seed all winter. For me, seed means a chance for more beautiful VFT plants.

I have often read and heard about how VFTs are weakened by flowering [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img], this remains a mystery to me. The only thing I have that seems to bother my VFTs are attacks of spider mites, so when I grow them as semi-aquatics (submerged each time I water them), which I often do, they usually aren't bothered by the mites.

Heck, when I was a "beginner" with CP. I had one VFT plant. When it bloomed, I kept my eye on the flowers and noticed when the stigma opened up like a mop, I put pollen on the stigma from the stamens of the same flower. I did this with all the flowers on that one plant. A few weeks later I had more than 30 seeds. I planted them and had excellent germination. The only observation of note was that the plant, while blooming and producing seed, did not make more new leaves, this was true until I had removed the ripe seed. After that the plant continued to grow new leaves with a renewed vigor. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope at least 1 of my 2 vfts bloom this year,as I would love to try growing them from seed.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast