User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VFTs pulling out of dormancy, already?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this seems very early to me, but i checked my VFTs today and two of them have flower stalks growing out. what should i do? is it too early?
    I can stop growing CPs anytime I want!! Can I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is pretty early for VFT's to be flowering, and if it were me, I'd cut them off. Flowering takes an awful lot of a VFT's energy for reproduction, and does weaken it a lot. If you had a sudden cold snap (outdoor growing) it could very well mean the life of your plant. Since May and June are considered normal flowering times, think about why the plant is popping out early. Indoor growing? Photo period too long? Too warm and too much light? Many variables to consider there, so chose the one you think fits your scenario. Since mine grow outside, they are at the mercy of Mom Nature, and give me flowers yearly and on schedule. Indoor growing can be a bit challenging to maintain the proper temp to keep them in dormancy or a semi-dormant state. You ahve a whole lot of VFT growers here with you, and they can help anytime as well. This is a very good forum, and I am glad I joined it. Aand, Saladshooter, the best of your plant is yet to come!! Enjoy, and good growing!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if I would say it is early, they like to flower right when they wake up so it's not weird or anything, but it does drain the plant and if your new to growing them it's best to remove them regardless of time of year. Once you are confident in your ablities to bring back plants from the brink, then you can let them flower without much of a problem.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, mine have been in full growth for months. I am already harvesting seed. When I have finished harvesting seed I plan to repot and divide the lot of them. Moving them to undrained plastic containers. Will plan to divide each individual plant into at least 12 or more each. Create some community groups of varieties.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    saladshooter,

How long has your VFTs been in dormancy before you seen the flower stalk? I would let it continue to grow and have a happy spring and summer regardless. It it not too early to take them out of dormancy, I took re-introduced my VFTs to my indoor terrarium today [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] BUT, they had at least 3 months of dormancy. And as for the flower stalks, cut them off would be the safest bet, of course.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Why does everyone always want to cut off their VFT flowers? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]

Heck if you think you will lose the plant from flower stress, all you need to do to make more of the same clone is to break off an old leaf base or two and poke it into the media next to the parent plant, wait a couple of weeks for the plantlet to poke through the surface, then a few months later you have another plant (or more) ready to make their own flowers. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. D'Amato says, "Now that you've seen them, cut them off!" I guess most of us, including me, havn't reproduced ideal enough conditions for the plant to survive beyond flowering. It happened to me once. Would a nice 3 month dormancy, followed by gradually increased light & temp, followed by placing them outside, be a good approach toward survival beyond flowering?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really want to risk having smaller traps during the summer. The flowers are pretty weedy anyway.

VFTs can start to wake up and flower if it's warm and they've satisfied their innate dormancy requirements.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast