Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they can eat lady bugs but it may not be good for them.

thanks
    -Jeremiah-

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Jeremiah Harris @ Feb. 20 2004,09:18)]in day or two ever single one had been caught but a flytrap sometimes as many as 3 or 4 were in one trap. Almost 95% of the traps turned black and died with in a week.
    This sounds more like an overfeeding problem than what was fed. The traps are designed to only catch one bug at a time. Catching 3 or 4 at once is about the same as feeding it too large of a bug. It cant digest it all before it begins to rot inside the trap and then the traps turn black and die. In most cases the plants will rebound from this, but if the plant is not in good health to begin with it could be fatal for the plant.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah that could be

Catching more then one in the same trap was a rare thing (I had a bout 50 to 60 flytraps in the same spot) I might try feeding a lady bug again this summer and see how that's works, let me know if anyone try's feeding a lady bug and what happens.

thanks
    -Jeremiah-[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi NoLimits

Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you're getting a VFT. You are embarking on a dangerous journey which usually turns into an addiction.

I am moving this topic to the Flytrap forum where you may get more answers. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Glad you're here and I hope you enjoy your new plant. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

**moving post.....POOF!**

Suzanne/PAK
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the same problem that Jeramiah Harris refers to with feeding ladybugs. When a trap would catch a ladybug, it usually did turn black after doing so. I have also had similar experiences when they would catch ants.

Here's your answer, it's too much for the plant. I have noticed this before and have studied it a little. It seams that when a plant is given something really juicy or something large, it will use up all the digestive enzimes that are aloted for that perticular leaf on "eating" said bug. When it uses up all of the enzimes the leaf is no longer benifitial or the plant to keep arourd and dies. I view this not to be a problem but part of the natural development/life cyclee of the plant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12