Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dingley 's Giant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the dingly giant, but I do have a few Low Giants, which have just come out of dormancu with 1.5 inch traps and getting large....

Also, my rare "Southwest Giant" seeds have now hatched...so I'm expecting those giants to be...uh...giant...
    LACPS Member
    \"Don't make me sic my targ on you!\" -Jonathan Passow
    www.mulletman.org <--VISIT MY NEW HOMEPAGE&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Also, my rare "Southwest Giant" seeds have now hatched...so I'm expecting those giants to be...uh...giant..
    A more likely result is that most of the "Southwest Giant" seedlings will look like "typical" VFTs, with perhaps a few retaining unique characteristics similar to the parent. Remember, seedlings from clones should not be named the same as the clone. If your "Southwest Giant" seeds are from selfed breeding, they should be referred to as "Southwest Giant" F2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HHmmm now that South West Giant is a really rare wonder. All I could thick about your SWG is "how did that plant linger to the US." Its a giant of the UK. Its got extremely long erect leaves with huge traps that don't turn all red, but sometimes does. Give Alistair Pearce the credit of the SWG. Low giants are pretty unique too. Large traps short petioles. I'll post a pic of my Bigmouth soon. Yes it has some intense colors and large traps on short petioles-really cool!!!!!
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is strange how those UK seeds got to me here in the US... *wink*wink*... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

I heard that they have short leaves and large traps...My low giant, on the other hand is getting short, WIDE leaves which are low to the ground and the traps are getting bigger and bigger in imense jumps.
    LACPS Member
    \"Don&#39;t make me sic my targ on you&#33;\" -Jonathan Passow
    www.mulletman.org <--VISIT MY NEW HOMEPAGE&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No the South West giant has got really long erect petioles.

You could have a cultivar of slack named "slack's giant" or the "G16" (more proper term from Graham Sadd) which grows ground rosettes and huge red traps.

They are both beautiful varieties and are hard to sought after in the US.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want one, I want one nice man!
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobz is correct. South West Giant can only be called that if it was tissue cultured, divided, or propagated from leaf cuttings. South West Giant is a strong upright growing plant with slightly pinkish traps. It was coined by Alistair Pearce, so Uglypho is correct too. Please don't call it South West Giant unless you do what Bobz suggested, otherwise, it will add to further VFT id confusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uglypho, I didn't know if you knew this or not, but, it is called
    Dingley Giant and not Dingley's Giant. Dingley is a suburb of Australia and not the name of a person. Dingley Gardens was a nusery there where the plant originated. Later Dingley Gardens became Triffid Park.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast