What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it about VFT's and their flowers?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've got a P. primuliflora that doesn't quit flowering - and I know that this isn't unusual for this plant or others.The plant doesn't die. It doesn't even look spent. Why is a VFT like a salmon instead of a guppy?

They're not always. A healthy VFT will only be slightly set back by flowering. The process does take a lot of energy from the plant, though, so VFT's that are not in peak condition can be severly set back. I just snipped a flower stalk off of one of my VFT's because that was the first thing it started growing after dormancy! No real leaves to speak of the do the photosynthesis.
wow.gif
I hope the others (that DID grow leaves) will flower a little later in the year. I'd love to get seeds this season!

I hear that among the first things a VFT wants to do, following dormancy, put up a flower. In how good a shape is a VFT after a three month dormancy? About how many leaves should one have if it is desired to let it flower. Basically, how can one tell if your particular VFT is strong enough to endure flowering? It's like comparing human labor to that of a guppy. Women have to REALLY endure labor, while a female guppy just does her thing and moves on.

Back