What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'denate trap'

Hi,

I'll have a picture soon, but I noticed that a trap on my akai ryu vft that's about to open has jagged, triangular short teeth like a dente vft. Why is this? (no, its not red pirahna but its starting to look like one)
smile.gif

thanks

My guesses would be:

1) Spontanious mutation on that leaf

2) Mislabled plant

I forgot to mention... it also has other traps that are normal.

My guess is low humidity.

Sometime new traps look dente before they open all the way because the hairs are still curled up.

I've had that happen before. I'd second pyros first guess. In fact,during dormancy, the plant produced something like a cup trap!

i had this happen with one of my typicals, but as soon as i got it into better conditions, more light mainly, it started to grow regular traps again. Maybe its some kind of a stress response.

Ktulu

If you got that plant from the LACPS meeting from Ed Read then its most likely a red pirhana that was mistaken for a red dragon during TC .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (goldtrap2690 @ Mar. 13 2004,20:08)]If you got that plant from the LACPS meeting from Ed Read then its most likely a red pirhana that was mistaken for a red dragon during TC .
That's where I got mine! And man, what a deal it was. Hey, do you have the email for the old gentalman that is the Nepenthis guy(he was at the last meeting)?

I got mine from dean cook. I think Art was the nep guy. My brother got one from him. Anyway, I figured out that the plant just grows different than I expected from a vft, the trap looks normal now.
smile.gif
tounge.gif

Back