What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Superthrive and Dionaea

I am expecting some Dionaea to arrive at my doorstep sometime next week in bare-root form.

I am pondering the possibility of soaking them in Superthrive in order to lessen the shock of shipment (say that 3 times fast).

Has anyone used Superthrive on VFT's? Is it safe?
Did it.... "do" anything?
Thanks
-Trevor

Hey Trevor -

I just gave a presentation on growing "Monster" sized VFTs at Saturday's NECPS meeting. Wish you could have been there.

I use Superthrive when I split clusters of VFTs or rescue ones from places like HD or Lowes. I'll put a drop or two in a bowl of rainwater and soak the plants for 15 minutes to a half hour before repotting.

Another thing I have found that helps is that for the first week or so after repotting I keep an inverted clear plastic cup or container (that I have melted air holes in with a soldering iron) over the plant. Once the plant has recovered and has formed a new open trap I remove it. Keep in mind - I do this on plants I'm growing and propagating indoors for the winter that are growing under lights. I wouldn't do it outdoors - the plant could cook if it got too warm.

Also, I would suggest using a pot that is at least 5 inches deep - 8 inches would be better.

I hope this helps.

WildBill

I find VFTs are pretty tough and their growth won't be affected by being shipped in the post for a few days. Try Superthrive if you have it, but I would just plant them up and they'll do fine.

I'm really picky about using superthrive on anything but Nepenthis. But since they are hardly little suckers, does anyone think that doing a misting of distilled H2O and Superthrive over the leaves of the trap will damage them?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also, I would suggest using a pot that is at least 5 inches deep - 8 inches would be better.

why do you say that, bill?

technoracer

Hey Technoracer -

When I have dug up to repot or split my really big VFTs, the roots attached to the bulb are sometimes five inches or longer. It has been my personal experience that the plants really start growing big in a larger pot compared to a smaller one. Some of you have seen these pics before, this pot is around 8 to 10 inches around and I think it's 6 inches deep (not exactly sure - it's still in dormancy buried outside). The plant was in a 4 inch deep plastic cup through last spring when I repotted it. I think this photo was taken late summer/early fall last year. This particular pot has a solid bottom, but I melted holes in the side about 1.5 inches down to allow excess water to escape.

20030920-NECPS-%238-CP-display-OPA-Bill%20Matthews-D.muscipula.jpg

20030920-NECPS-%238-CP-display-OPA-Bill%20Matthews-D.muscipula-shirt.jpg

WildBill

I use Superthrive on all my CP. It stops root shock cold, and aids in the development of new roots. And yes, you can use it as a foliar feed on any CP. I mostly use it when potting up, and during the first few weeks of spring to "charge" the plants and help get them going.

HOLY COW WILDBILL!!!!!!!!!!!

Back