Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Letting VFT plants have sex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my collection of VFT clones began to bloom several months ago. I encouraged it. I worked at carefully swapping pollen between the several different clones I am currently growing which were flowering concurrently, so that every flower received pollen from a different clone.

I was rewarded with quite a few seed which I sowed together on a topping of black sand in a 2 inch square pot on 29Feb04. The black sand makes it easier to observe the germination process. Within 4 days several seed had already initiated thier first root. Now, 14 days later most are completing the process of escaping from their seed coats. From the first moment the cotyledons are visible, some can be seen to have strong red pigmentation while most do not. The arrows indicate where a red seedling has been identified.

The theory is that because of the sexual nature of this form of reproduction that each plant that grows from a seed will be unique, different from any other VFT plant in the world.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool beans!!!

And in only two weeks... That's a lot faster than I have ever seen them germinate Joseph.

My three from last year are slowly putting up growth outside from their winter slumber, I will be encouraging the blooming stalks this year since I divided them all last year and have at least two of each. Bloom stalks should arise from the larger plants simultaneously I would assume anyway, two of the three of them did last year at the same time.

I would hope to try the same experiment and see what the seed yields for initial differences in germination.

Cheers,
    Sean

Quick question...
    Since these are new crosses of your own making, do you intend to grow them out to adult size to see if there are any marked differences from those already available in the trade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. I was hoping to do this this year too, but alas, my first flowering plant got a fungle infection :P ... I'm sure the fast germination is in part due to the freshness of the seed.

One question though, isn't that black sand a little risky or did you some how manage to get the volcanic type?
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! Most excelent sprouting time!
    LACPS Member
    \"Don't make me sic my targ on you!\" -Jonathan Passow
    www.mulletman.org <--VISIT MY NEW HOMEPAGE&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious. Since the red plants don't have any roots to speak of yet, wouldn't it be easy to transplant them now?

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, when those start to bloom abit more, pull one out of teh roots, ill pay ya some cash for one of those babies! Were talking 5-20 bucks here!
    Some day... Venus flytraps will develop legs&#33; and go around eating all us humans&#33; NAH&#33;
    Maybe....

NO IM NOT A HIPPIE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work Joseph but how in the heck will you know which seeds came from what cross pollinization? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img] What if you get an Alibino... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    That whole experiment intrigues the heck out of me. Please keep us informed and post pics as they "grow up".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Well, I'm not really worried about parentage because these are not hybrids. You can't create hybrids with a genus of only one species, unless they can cross with different genera, as some other plant groups can do, such as orchids. They are just different clones, not different species or hybrids.

If I were doing this to track heritability or other genetic foibles of VFTs, then keeping track of which is which might be important. Even doing it this way, helter skelter, can still provide interesting information.

In other words, lineage doesn't matter much. Even if we never knew Albert Einsteins lineage it wouldn't reduce his significance much, if at all. Outstanding human beings derive from the species #### sapiens sapiens, outstanding VFTs derive from Dionaea muscipula.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast