What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i just bought it from store the other year and it is growing well, or was that 2 years ago.... anyways its flowering and its very strong, its roots are growing out of the bottom of its 2inch diameter plastic pot and i dont plan to replant until it is done with flowering.....
it hasnt eaten all winter but i just fed it 1 fly and i feed it a lot in the summer, i wanted to know how hard it is to germinate the vft seeds and the best way to plant them all as soon as possible, and all instructions on how to grow baby vft's
its growing on my window sill and its growing well

-whats the best and quickest way to get them to grow into lil vft's
-when i replant it long AFTER it is done flowering can i separate it from the smaller vft sitting beside it, it almost seems as if there is 3 but theres 2 in this pot for sure
-pictures new every week thursday, and some when flowers open.

ps. these forums changed a lot since i was here as rawcola
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

cool red trap pics.
flower stalk and traps here, pics from mar 8/mar25

ps i hadnt had it go into dormancy yet, unless dormancy means no new traps being produced and older traps falling really low to the pot, because i never took it off my windowsill.

but thats another story .

You've got a beautiful plant.  
cool.gif
 I intend to let 2 of my own plants flower too.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (uglypho @ Mar. 18 2004,18:17)]You've got a beautiful plant.
cool.gif
I intend to let 2 of my own plants flower too.
laugh.gif
its store bought 2..... u got any info tho ?
rock.gif

The Venus Flytrap is a highly outcrossing species meaning it is "best" to have 2 different plants to pollinate its flowers. Outcrossers usually have exserted stigmas meaning that the sexual parts rarely if ever come into contact with its own pollen. For that reason and because the flower is not receptive to pollen for about 3 days after opening, it's hard to get a plant to self pollinate. You would have to keep pollen from a flower that opened at an earlier time, and then pollinate a flower that had been open for about three days. You might want to ask some people their tips for preserving pollen. At any rate self pollinating a plant will give you few if any seeds depending.
To grow them from seeds, sow them on finely milled sphagnum peat moss, keep humidity high and the peat wet, give them indirect but bright light. I think other growers might want to share on more specifics.
When you replant it you should be able to separate them very gently. Their roots are very fragile.
That is a very impressive plant can you tell me more about it, like it's age or where you bought it ? I collect various typicals because when Venus Flytraps, like PinguiculaMan said, are crossed no seedling is ever identical. The plants all grow up to become a different genetic plant, like human beings. Mostly the differences are unnoticed, but, one plant out of a hundred
may very well be a special plant and one worth keeping. Especially if your crosses are designed to specifically produce plants with certain traits.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zappafan @ Mar. 18 2004,18:50)]That is a very impressive plant can you tell me more about it, like it's age or where you bought it ?
i bought at whiterose, dont know age, i could ask the store maybe where they buy and so on and so on to give u an approximate age but thats about it, thats all i know about it. had it for 1 and 1/2 year at my house
yeah i want to self polinate it !

I had a plant crash and burn on flowering just recently too. It also was just from the store, so I am starting to think I will wait a full year in the future. At least the plant is okay, but the loss of the flower was a bummer.

Yea, I just got one the other day because the flower scape was being bent by the dome that covered it. I brought it home and yesterday I noticed the point that had been bent had turned black and the flower fell off. Kinda ticks you off to allow the plant to use that kind of energy just to have it fall off.

I`m going to let mine flower this year,the buds are just about to open.:)

wow so these things grow 3 times the height of the leaes huh? mines 2/3 the way up i guess, the different buds are just starting to separate from each other but not opening yet, does anyone have any tips on how to preserve the pollen?

Looks like you got a good plant there,nice red traps of good size. Congrats and happy growin`!
Noah.

You are growing the plant like a pro already!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (uglypho @ Mar. 28 2004,3:18)]You are growing the plant like a pro already!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
i wish that was true
laugh.gif

i just fed it the last 2 days, 2 more open traps left, ill feed them within next week these are the newest ones tho

I just visited a nursery that had several D. spatulata, P. primuliflora, and VFT's. Most of the VFT's have flower stalks. Their leaves look horrible. They are sitting with their domes on in a dry tray. I've already said my peace to on of the employees about proper water and flowering. Those plants are goners! Never ever buy a VFT from a store that is sending up a stalk! It is best to have your own plant go through dormancy, knowing it had rest for the season, just as Darcie suggested.

VFT's are beautiful plants. Sow the seeds on top of the soil and make sure the media is wet at all times. In anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks, the babies will sprout. Do not water the seeds from above, but rather in a watering tray. Allow the water to soak up into the media from below. Watering from above will scatter the seed, and you can lose a lot of them if you are not careful. I sow mine in open sun, in a water filled tray, and they just go nuts. The plus is seeing which of these guys will be red, who will be green, and who will be typical (if there is such a thing). The color forms are always something to cherish, and it is good to see so many highly colored forms coming to market. Keep up the good work, and good growing!!

Mine has 3 open flowers now,it had 3 more but the chickens bit them off,the flowers are rather large 1in. but one has 6 petals\sepals and is 1 1\2 in.! The flowers are pleasently scented of beeswax:) .

Back