User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoffman Western Desert Sand good or bad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received 3 new plants (bare root shipped) i took out my bag of peat and went to get my bag of sand when i noticed its empty... I called every nursery in my area and not one has silica sand, however the lady at garden center swears up and down that Hoffman western desert sand mixed 50/50 with peat is perfect for my new vft's so i bought a bag washed it a few times and mixed it with peat but then as i was going to pot the new plants i thought i should post an ask to double check before i pot them. if any one knows if this sand works or doesn't work plz let me know and thank you in advance.
    -steve/jamezs5
    Steven S.
    21 ST. Benedict Circle Stamford C.T. 06902

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can grow VFT's in straight peat if you want.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Bugweed. Straight sphagnum peat works great. The best place to find silica sand is at the building supply store, not a plant nursery. It is used for sand blasting. Get the largest grit size available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sand blasting sand is usually the best for CP. It comes in 3 or 4 grit sizes, and you can look at the sand and decide for your self what size granule you want to use. Either #10 or #20 Sandblasting sand is the size you would be looking for. As pointed out to you, sand is not necessary at all, but some people like it. In the wild, you will find VFT's in both media, with or without sand, and growing well. I grow my sarrs in straight peat too, and get good results with less weight to the potting container. Sand is heavy.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick test to see if sand will be OK is to put some in a little vinegar. If it bubbles continuously it has lime in it and isn't good for CPs. If there are no bubbles formed (not counting air bubbles that got trapped on sand grains) then the sand is OK.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    BCK
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased my silica sand from a hardware store. I have heard that one may also find silica -or a comparative "grade" of sand at a pool supply store (the sand is used in pool filters).

I have also heard that "horticultural grade" sand is acceptable. I don't really know what horticultural grade sand is, but I would imagine that it's simply a relatively smooth, clean sand.

You could also try researching Hoffman Western Desert sand on the 'net... what "kind" of sand is it?
    -Trev

PS: It is a good idea to have all of this running around taken care of *before* you recieved the plants in the mail. For how many days have your plants been sitting in their little baggies? It's helpful to have the pots filled with soil and sitting in water before the plants arrive at your place -that's what I did and all of my plants survived.
    Granted that if plants are emerging from dormancy (or just finished emerging) they will be less likely to tweak out if they are sitting in a bag with their roots exposed for a few days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are bare root dormant vft's I'm not sure how long they been in the bags I'm on my way to home depot right now to look for that sand blasting size 10-20 sand and if they don't have it i will ask about pool filter sands or horti sand thanks for the great posts made my day :>
    BTW I'm getting sand cause i have had great success with 50% sand 50% shredded peat with a 1 - 1/2" live long fiber sphag top dressing.
    -Steve/James
    Steven S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after driving to Norwalk to goto home depot i found all they have is masonry sand.... then i drove to a few more nursery's and no dice. i picked up a bag of Schultz peat an Schultz perlite and did a 70% peat to 30% perlite mix. i will try that and if i don't like it or it just doesn't work i will re post as soon as i can find the sand.
    Steven S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast