Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do i properly preserve pollen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi my vft is flowering and i need to know how to preserve pollen, i would love to have many of these in a few years
    and by the way when there is 1 flower stalk is there 1 flower on it or is there as many flowers as i see buds?
    wow my venus flytrap grew a flower stalk!..... 12 buds so far. how many seeds http://s98622558.onlinehome.us/iB_ht...cons/smile.gif
    many many vft !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is as many flowers as you see buds.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say I have ever tried to store VFT pollen.. so this is something I would try but has not been tested...

The problem with Dionaea is the flowers collapse in the afternoon and make a mess of the pollen. So you would need to remove it before this happens.

A couple thoughts come to mind. You could just pluck off the anthers with fine tweezers and store them in little foil envelopes in the fridge. Only problem I see here is the potential for some mold because the plant material. Another possibility is to collect the pollen seperately. Maybe by using a small cotton swab and loading it with pollen and then storing the swab in the fridge in some container. The pollen should last a few months refridgerated so you can do some crosses with other plants as they flower.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agrea with tony on this one, but you can probubly get away with just tossing the anthers/defunct pollen messed flower petals into a baggy. I don't like foil because it gets more moisture in to, I like ziplock baggies, but I'm sure anything would work. Then you just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best, but pollen IS made to be long lasting and dirable so you have nature on your side in this [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option is to fold up little packets from white paper. They will absorb some moisture from any flower parts and help prevent mold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can count 7 buds with the middle being the largest and some being less than half its size, the problem with preserving this pollen is i want to pollinate as many flowers as possible so the first one opens can i presere pollen from that and pollinate all with it,

OR the first one opens i take pollen and i give to 2nd one, and then i take pollen from 2nd one and give to 3rd and then take pollen from 3rd and give to 4th?
    wow my venus flytrap grew a flower stalk!..... 12 buds so far. how many seeds http://s98622558.onlinehome.us/iB_ht...cons/smile.gif
    many many vft !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be lots more pollen produced than you actually need. You can pollinate each flower with some of the pollen and remove the rest for use later on a different plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 22 2004,19:40)]There will be lots more pollen produced than you actually need. You can pollinate each flower with some of the pollen and remove the rest for use later on a different plant.
    tony i only have one plant, do you mean pollen can be preserved for months ?, and from what i understand i wont be able to pollinate the first flower because the stigma is ready first and then its old and then the pollen is ready?
    many many vft !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast