Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traps turning black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

I have recently repotted my VFT and some of the new traps are turning black before they reach maturity. Is this a fungal attack? How does one apply alcohol to the fungus? Q-tip? It is also developing what I think is a flower stalk (it looks like a fist).
    \"It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.\"
    UP THE IRONS!!! (www.ironmaiden.com)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Q-Tip method.
    LACPS Member
    \"Don't make me sic my targ on you!\" -Jonathan Passow
    www.mulletman.org <--VISIT MY NEW HOMEPAGE&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that it's fungus, it's probably just stress because of damaged roots and such. Mine are going through the same thing right now, since I accidently burned their roots by overheating them with a aquarium type heater.
    Before that they were growing one inch traps and now, half an inch! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant will probably be in shock since being repotted. The first leaves in spring can also turn black in my experience. It should recover in a couple of weeks.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes that sounds like flower stalk, cut it off since its new leaves are dying and the root sensitive so its weak after repot!!
    if u really want seed ill have many of mine, and if u really wanna see flower i can take pictures [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    wow my venus flytrap grew a flower stalk&#33;..... 12 buds so far. how many seeds http://s98622558.onlinehome.us/iB_ht...cons/smile.gif
    many many vft &#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are doing that too, but I haven't repotted them. I think it's a combination of spring and fungus. The soil around them has a green "slime." They were outside all winter, so the fungus must have infected them then.

I'm going to remove them, wash the roots, then repot in clean soil. I'll sterileze the old soil with lots of boiling water then reuse it later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the green slime on the soil is kind of common. unless you really, really, want to repot the plant, i would just scrape off the slime, and put a little peat in it's place. if you have any live lfs, that make a nice top dressing too.

remember that, if you are going to sterilize the old soil with boiling water, if you use tap water, any minerals that are in it could build up in the soil.

peace,
    tech...
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "remember that, if you are going to sterilize the old soil with boiling water, if you use tap water, any minerals that are in it could build up in the soil."

No tap water here. My friends came over, saw pots of boiling black muck on the stove with distilled water bottles and had the oddest looks on their faces for a few minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast