What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traps turning black

I have recently repotted my VFT and some of the new traps are turning black before they reach maturity. Is this a fungal attack? How does one apply alcohol to the fungus? Q-tip? It is also developing what I think is a flower stalk (it looks like a fist).

I use the Q-Tip method.

I don't think that it's fungus, it's probably just stress because of damaged roots and such.  Mine are going through the same thing right now, since I accidently burned their roots by overheating them with a aquarium type heater.
Before that they were growing one inch traps and now,  half an inch!
mad.gif

The plant will probably be in shock since being repotted. The first leaves in spring can also turn black in my experience. It should recover in a couple of weeks.

yes that sounds like flower stalk, cut it off since its new leaves are dying and the root sensitive so its weak after repot!!
if u really want seed ill have many of mine, and if u really wanna see flower i can take pictures
biggrin.gif

Mine are doing that too, but I haven't repotted them. I think it's a combination of spring and fungus. The soil around them has a green "slime." They were outside all winter, so the fungus must have infected them then.

I'm going to remove them, wash the roots, then repot in clean soil. I'll sterileze the old soil with lots of boiling water then reuse it later.

the green slime on the soil is kind of common. unless you really, really, want to repot the plant, i would just scrape off the slime, and put a little peat in it's place. if you have any live lfs, that make a nice top dressing too.

remember that, if you are going to sterilize the old soil with boiling water, if you use tap water, any minerals that are in it could build up in the soil.

peace,
tech...

"remember that, if you are going to sterilize the old soil with boiling water, if you use tap water, any minerals that are in it could build up in the soil."

No tap water here. My friends came over, saw pots of boiling black muck on the stove with distilled water bottles and had the oddest looks on their faces for a few minutes.

I posted about this back before these new message boards and never did get a straight answer.

What I found was---wait it out. I will go away and your plants growth will return to normal. I still don't have any idea what causes this, but it goes away on its own.

Personally, I think it has something to do with the plants energy level at that time.

I had this problem when I got my first VFT I kept the soil to wet and the roots ended up rooting - but the new leaves kept starting to grow and then dying. Doesn't sound like that is your problem though

Back