What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i(t) stay or should i(t) go

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
If it stays, it will be trouble. If it does, it will be double. Currently my month out of dormancy VFT's are a sitting on a cool temp window sill. The temps are inthe 50's & 60's, depending upon outside temps and day or night. One VFT is sending up a flower stalk. I know that the plant would do a lot better outside, soaking up the sun and garnering more energy from direct sunlight, as opposed to filterd light through the window. We have a forecasted two week stretch where the temps will be between 32 low and 65 high. Can I put them outside successfully or will this be a set up for failure? Would they be in shock from the greater temperature differential and lower temp than they are used to seeing?

I would keep them inside till you know there isn't going to be subzero temperatures.

The two week forecast is friendly in that regard. I can always bring thenm in if the overnight low gets too close to freezing. I DID put them out yesterday morning. Also put my S. purpurea, S. rubras, Cobra Lily, and D. scorpiodes. outside. One of the scorpiodes found a flying critter to its liking. Also put some leftover grapes in a cup, in the midst of the cp's as an additional enticement. So far none of them have expressed their displeasure!

I always like to remind people that VFTs are outdoor plants.
smile.gif
Nobody out in Momma Nature's world garden is carrying plants in and out of the cold. The plants survive all manner of weather and temps out in the wild. And I don't think anything beats good ol' sunshine. (Wellllll...maybe a halide...)
smile.gif

That being said...you must take into account if the plant is USED to be "coddled" so to speak...grown indoors under lights or used to high humidity or a certain temperature range. If so, you wouldn't want to shock it by suddenly putting it into an extreme its not used to.

My VFTs stay outdoors and take all the extremes...freezing, rain, snow, etc. They do fine. I only bring them in if temps are dropping VERY low as I have to take into account they are in pots, not in the ground.

Your plants will do fine outside. You could always bring them in for the night if you will be having a steep temp. drop your plants haven't experienced before.

Looks like you've got your answer, Me? on the other hand I'll be singing that tune the rest of the day. Time to break out the deciple albums.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (God's garden @ Mar. 26 2004,8:35)]Looks like you've got your answer, Me? on the other hand I'll be singing that tune the rest of the day. Time to break out the deciple albums.
i was about to say
cool.gif

Back