What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloooowwwww!

The traps on my flytraps (Not my 3 year old ones) are closing really slowly. It takes about an hour to even start to close at all. What should I do?

Possible reasons: Did you give it dormancy?, Your vft maybe rotting, so you may want to reduce the water intake, or the traps are old and ready to die. Need a little bit more info. from you.
rock.gif
smile.gif

Travis

What is the air and soil temperature around the plant.
A cold environment will cause the traps to close slow.

Cheers,
Sean

Dude, you may want to consider changing your forum color to something darker.

The air temperature is around 72 degrees F and the soil temperature is around the same. And even the new traps that have just opened are closing really slowly. Jimscott, how do I change my forum color to a darker one?
Thanks.:D

go to your control panal and click on personal info and go to profile. you can edit it there.

It dosen't sound like the cold, or soil. High mineral content of the water?
Need to know when you got them, if they've had a recent dormancy, if so how long did it last,and most important do they share any common genetic material as my wife cus' I think she moves at the same speed, watering dosen't seem to help. Serously let us know as much as you know.

I got them at a nursery in Minnetonka, Minnesota. They came in pots with little baggies on top. I use purified well water so there is no minerals in it.

More specifically:1)Control Panel
2)Personal Info
3)Edit Your Profile
4)Scroll down to: Post Color
5)Click drop down arrow
6)Click a color (darker) of your choice
7)Amen Profile
8)Enjoy!

OK, what month did you get them/how long have you had them?

Here's some things I have noticed about the way my flytraps close:

- They close faster at the end of the day/slower in the morning
- Brand new traps don't close fast. Give them a week, then they will.
- The traps close faster when it's warmer
- Sometimes you'll get a trap that for some reason will just never ever close.
- The traps may close very very fast on one plant and slower on another. I've noticed my "Red Dragons" close much much faster than my "Typical"
- Sometimes after a trap has eaten, it won't close unless I scrape the dead dried remains off and wait a week.

I hope this helps.

WildBill

I got them just this March. I've had them for about 15 days.

Back