What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf cuttings

I am thinking about taking a leaf cutting from my "typical" venus flytrap.  How should I go about it?  Like what kind of soil, how to do it, and how to care for it afterwards.
Thanks
cool.gif

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

smile.gif
I finally changed the color! Yaaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Peal off a leaf. It should have some of the white rhisome at the base. Slightly cover the white part with peat and keep moist. Sit back and wait for plantletts to sprout from the white part. I use the regular 50:50 CP mix that I grow my other CPs in, to root my cuttings. Care is the same as for a regular VFT. Some people recommend that you feed them tiny gnats or other small insect so they will grow quicker/bigger.

smile.gif

BCK

I usually just shove the cutting in the dirt next to the mother plant.  After the origenal leaf dies back and the new minni leaves pop up to make a rosset I pop it out of the soil and give it it's own  pot... although you can leave the thing with it's mum for a few years and not worry about crouding... sometimes you get more then one rosset off of a cutting, I leave these together untill they get bigger and then brake them appart.

High humidity will help encourage sprouting as well.

So you just peel it off and keep some of the white base, then pot it, is it okay if the leaf you took off starts dying before it sends up new ones, does it have to have some roots when you peel it off? So many questions...

No it doesn`t need roots just the white base. William nice to see you back again. Old leafs will work but take longer to sprout and generally dont grow as vigorous plantlets.

Check out WildBill's article in the "articles" forum.

On Feb 4th 2004 I took four leaf cuttings. Two I soaked in superthrive and two I didn't. Granted the light was weak for the first couple of weeks, but plantletts appeared from the 2 w/ST around March 20th or so. I now use one of those propagation containers you can buy about anywhere, filled with a 1:1:1: mix sand, peat, and long fiber spag. If you decide to use a freash leaf I've had the cutting live as long as three weeks before turning brown. I dont use new leaves anymore. Every couple months, or when I decide to clean up the dead leaves I'll find leaves that have just started to wither, and use them.

so i dont get wenu soak them with ST, for how long? and how much ST do u use? then u put it in the prop containers ? how long does it take to sprout ?

Is it possible to start the cuttings in distilled water like some do with drosera? I've tried, but they "dried out", even when kept very moist.

Back