Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Repotting VFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I got my soil and I'm ready to repot. Now, this may seem trivial, but are ceramic pots any better then plastic pots? I assume it makes no difference, but I was just curious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They say if you use ceramics the pots should be glazed, not sure if it really matters. I like plastic.. Good luck

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unglazed pots absorb salts/minerals over time from your potting soil and water and will eventually leach them back into the soil, damageing your CPs roots.

BCK
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scratch the ceramic pot then. Thanks all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aslo, non-glazed ceramic pots are very porous and facilitate drying out the soil. They are really good for cacti. Not so good for bog plants like VFTs.

Repotting is a good thing--fresh medium adds a fresh supply of nutrients for the plant to use. I bareroot my VFTs into the frig for winter dormancy and when they come out they have to be (re)potted.

Roots coming out of the bottom of the pot is your first clue that the plant needs repotting. Yes, it will continue on without being repotted, but its out grown its home and would like a bigger one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so today I repotted my VFT using a larger plastic pot - I even bought the soil mix off of **********.com. It (the website) said that the mix was peat moss and sand/perlite. When it arrived, it was a big brown bag of peat moss soil with some white sandy stuff on top, so I put it all in a 1-gallon Ziplock bag and mixed it up.

Anyway, so I put about an inch or so of the new soil on the bottom of the new pot, and put my VFT (including most of the old soil clump) from the old pot to the new pot. Then, I just filled the sides up with the new soil, and slightly pressed it down.

So then I filled the tray with water to get things all nice and squishy, and called it a done deal. I came back two hours later and most of the water is still in the tray and the new soil still dry... Is it supposed to take a long time for this new soil to soak up water? The old soil would soak up the water much quicker than this...

Yes, there are holes in the bottom of the pot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The peat needed to be soaked in water first, then mixed with the other ingredients and put into the pot. Thats the main reason its not soaking up any water.

Also, whenever u plant a plant---u need to soak the soil to prevent it from sucking all the fluid out of your plant through reverse osmosiss.

Soak it from the top down---flood it repeatedly until it is completely soaked. Then it will begin drawing water up from the tray.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D'oh! *goes to soak the pot*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast