What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Someone

My VFT's are starting to turn yellow!!!
Is this bad?
Only the ones that get direct sunlight are turning yellow and They are both Dente.
Like I said, they get Direct sunlight from Sunrise to noon and the humidity is around 50%.
I also spray their soil with RO water every other day and they are also kept in a watering tray with RO water.
What should I do?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ April 06 2004,4:13)]My VFT's are starting to turn yellow!!!
Is this bad?
Only the ones that get direct sunlight are turning yellow and They are both Dente.
Like I said, they get Direct sunlight from Sunrise to noon and the humidity is around 50%.
I also spray their soil with RO water every other day and they are also kept in a watering tray with RO water.
What should I do?
First, you may want to put them in shade. Where do you live? The sun may be too strong where you are... How much water do you give it? Too much water can give them root rot, and too little and they dry out and die. Are these just old leaves that are turning yellow? or are all of them yellow?

They are old leaves
and i live on long island
also, should i stop watering them every other day?
Im such a newb -_-;
lol

Hey Hellz,
  Older leaves yellowing and dying off is a natural process.  As long as there are fresh leaves growing, don't panic.  On LI, your sun certainly isn't too strong, since they are native to quite a bit south of you (N. & S. Carolina).  
  If new leaves are also dying, ask youself:
1) what are they potted in (what kind of soil)? (should be a mix of pete/perlite or pete/sand. LFS is also ok. Potting soil is an emphatic no no)
2) how much wet/dry do you keep them? ( I keep them on the tray method, but I let the tray stay dry for a couple of days before refilling it)
3) what are your temps? (they really won't grow much below 65 degrees or so, but they won't be harmed unless it gets down to the low 20's for an extended period)

Humidity isn't too much a of demand for VFT's, in my experience, as long as you don't change it too much too quickly (like just taking the dome of a nursery purchase without hardening it off to 50% humidity instead of near 100%).

I live just about 1 1/2 hours north of you, and my VFT's really flourish outside once it gets nice out.

Hi, its me, Hellz,
thanks Schloaty and Spectabilis,
They're in 50%peat/50% Sand, typical VFT substrate.
I moved my VFT into a shadier area and i think im gonna stop watering them every other day and just leave them in the tray with some water
hope they dont die:D

O NO
I think my vft is dead...
It was lookin limp so i pushed aside some substrate and discovered it to be rotten at the base of the plant, probably because i over watered...
o well, my first vft, and i thought i was taking good care of it
-_-;
Is there any way to save a plant from root rot?

If the entire base is affected to the point where the top part of the plant is cut off from the roots, it's a lost cause. Before you trashcan it check the base of the leaves. If any of the leaves have any white at their base, peal the leaf off and clean the leaf under running tap water. Just rub it gently while under the running water to remove loose dirt and any mold spores that may be on it. Then treat it/them as a leaf cutting using fresh soil mix. Sit back and hope they take.

BCK

As far as watering, I fill the tray under the pot about every other day - usually, the plant soaks up all the water in a few hours, and stays wet all day.  The following day, it's stays moist (not as wet as yesterday, but still moist), and then the next day, it looks slightly dry and is ready for watering.

Of course, if it rains then I wait until the soil gets to that slightly dry-ish looking stage, then I start my watering routine again.  Note that I am no expert, but my VFT has been living for 2 years now.

Good luck!

Thanks some more guys
I took the plant and found only 1 whiteish base so i peeled is off and i did what BCK told me
i hope it roots
o ya, should i try some rooting hormone on it?
i have some shultz rooting hormone and wondered if anybody tryed it on cp's b4

Hellz,
I don't use rooting hormones. I've never noticed any difference in rooting leave cuttings when I did use it, so I don't bother with it. Others have better luck using it. You can use it if you like, it won't hurt to try it.

smile.gif

BCK

Back