Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ?Traps still work after dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hi Guys,
    I saw something last night which really surprised me. I was repotting my VFT's that are just coming out of dormancy (now, mind, OUTSIDE IN NY dormancy...under mulch and a lot of snow. This was a DEEP dormnacy.) and I tripped a trap....It snapped shut like lighting! This trap is from last year....Can this be?? I though all the leaves would die off...
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like evidence to leave them intact during dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never clip flytrap traps in the winter, unless theres a bug in it, to keep mold from growing. and yes, they still clsoe after winter I also did an expirement. I cut a leaf, but without part of the rhizome, and another with a bit of the rhizome. AFTER i cut them, i tried to trigger them. they both closed! possibly proves that they dont get the info to close from the "brain"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ April 08 2004,2:08)]I never clip flytrap traps in the winter, unless theres a bug in it, to keep mold from growing. and yes, they still clsoe after winter I also did an expirement. I cut a leaf, but without part of the rhizome, and another with a bit of the rhizome. AFTER i cut them, i tried to trigger them. they both closed! possibly proves that they dont get the info to close from the "brain"
    Vfts dont have "Brains"

Nor do they have a central nervous system - so its probably liklely to close if you cut off just the trap from the leaf blade !

(Im not trying it out though ! )
    Vft Grower from the UK