What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing my VFT Collection

Well I got my shipment in from PetFlytrap yesterday.  I picked up 4 more Green Dragon bulbs (they sent 5, yey!) and two packages of soil since I don't trust my soil.

I noticed their soil was using a lot less perlite than I have been using.  I was going with a 50/50 mix and they seem more like 90/10 or 95/5.  Possibly that was the source of my problems as perlite probably isn't as useful as sand to have a 50/50 mix.

I transplanted my original plant I got 2 years ago into a bigger bot by basically scooping it out and putting it in a new pot and filling in the edges.  I was considering seperating the bulbs, but I don't trust myself enough.  There were roots all the way to the bottom and it was very crowded with at least 4 plants in the small pot.  Hopefully this will encourage them to spread out on their own.

Ok, well I have my finger's crossed again.  I hope the repotting was successful (all my other pottings had died
sad.gif
) and the new bulbs pull through.

So now I have roughly 8 Green Dragons and 1 Blood Red.  I guess the next step is to order some more!  My goal is to have an entire row of VFTs on my window sill.

Good Luck with the new plants.. It is a little cold where i live right now in Pa.. Some days a good with a few colder days.. Are you planting out side or in?
Jim

jhaluska, great collection. You should start on those mutants and red trapped varieties nest!
smile.gif

jhaluska: I didn't trust myself in separating the bulbs until last month. It's very easy. Just break them off with your hands. vfts have a very simple root system so you don't have to worry about root damage. With the separated plants just stick em in different pots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pasoftim @ April 08 2004,9:07)]Good Luck with the new plants..  It is a little cold where i live right now in Pa..  Some days a good with a few colder days.. Are you planting out side or in?
Jim
You're from PA? Where? I'm from the Reading area. Please don't say from Erie!

Vfts ar very easy to repot. I have just rcently done that, and I don't think that they stressed at all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jhaluska @ April 08 2004,11:58)]I picked up 4 more Green Dragon bulbs (they sent 5, yey!) and two packages of soil since I don't trust my soil.

I was considering seperating the bulbs, but I don't trust myself enough.
you need to have faith in your self

I've just repotted 40+ VFTs and expect all of them to live and thrive.
Just take some care removing the soil ball from the pot and then removing the soil from around the roots, bulb, etc. Fill your new pot with your mix, make and appropriate sized hole with your finger, slide the roots and bulb in, gently press the soil back in and u r good to go.....! Its that easy.

Back