What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT ravaged!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
My first successful VFT went through my learning curve and a 3 month dormancy. I had it outside for a few weeks and it was going to reward me with two flowers. I came to work today and discovered that the flower stalks and leaves were like buzz sawed, with the remains scattered about
mad.gif
My other three VFT's were only slightly affected. What would do that kind of damage? It was like having locusts destroying a crop.

I have heard mice like vfts. A squirrel maybe? Birds?

That's plausible. Lots of aforementioned out and about.

I have also herd the Mice like vfts
however i dont think a squirl would do that
but a bird might have seen some bugs around it or something

I still think it was a mouse thou

I had problems with birds..they like to dig into the moss looking for bugs, and might also rip apart traps to steal the plant's meal!
get some old CDs, (those over-abundant AOL disks work great!)
stick 2 disks together so the shiny-side faces out on both sides, and hang the CDs around your growing area..no more birds!
smile.gif

OOH, I like that suggestion! I also moved my plants to the location it had been - on top of a few steel drums, covered by tarp, with lots of rainwater in the middle, acting as a moat. They were untouched until I moved them. Had a cup of grapes nearby to attract small, flying insects that were scattered. Do mice eat grapes? Or birds? The plants hadn't been bothered with the grapes nearby, when on top of the drums.

Back