Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeding vft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SnowyFalcon @ April 14 2004,4:03)]Remember, you don't want to kill them, just knock them out.
    That's why you DON'T put them in THE FREEZER/Ice Box section, you place them in the refridgerator section.

I've been doing experaments with this and found that, if you place flies in a covered glass jar in the refridgerorator, they will live anywhere from 3 days (the small ones) to a week (the larger ones).
    LACPS Member
    \"Don't make me sic my targ on you!\" -Jonathan Passow
    www.mulletman.org <--VISIT MY NEW HOMEPAGE&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine go outside during the warmer months where all I do is watch the flies go bye bye. Almost every trap catches prey once during its life. These plants are very good at taking care of these things without any help from me.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put the fly in the freezer in a petri dish, and after about 45 seconds i take it out of the freezer and wait for it to start to twitch then i take it out with a tweezer, gently drop it in and boom, easy feeding. Another easy but cruel way is with spiders. You hold on with a tweazers and cut all the legs half way so there all wiggling, then you pop the half legged spider in and they can't escape. Kinda mean, but effective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feed mine flys and pill bugs for the most part. Never feed your plant ladybugs they kill the traps,or earthworms they rot the trap and make a stinky mess!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pill bugs are those rolly poley things that turn into balls right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep! There also known as "wood louse".
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pill bugs and roly-pollys are great VFT food. they look the same, but they're diffrent species

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ April 14 2004,1:42)]
    Quote[/b] (schloaty @ April 14 2004,4:04)]Hellz,
    I don't know what ants you have around, but I've got some nice, big suckers. Too big for baby plants. I like to put a VFT put in a large tray of water, and drop in a few ants. They won't cross the water, and as soon as they settle down and start to explore....Well, you get the idea!
    Ants can cross water. They float! So what they do, is make a "bridge" of floating ants, and other ants walk across the "bridge"
    A BRIDGE? You not joking? Very clever indeed...
    Too bad humans can't do that...would come in useful sometimes (like when ye stuck on an island...)

I usually feed mine large flying ants or houseflies that I catch (my reflexes) . Not too bothersome as I only have one VFT. Only thing I have to be careful of is that they don't rip the trap up with their huge mouthparts...scary!
    How come a (my) VFT doesn't fully digest itas prey (I mean suck it dry like some people's VFTs do...yuck!

Jason

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast