Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeding vft

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants that are used to being fed a lot all the time would have no problem with it... if your plant hasnt had a meal in a long time, a huge feeding like that will likely stress it at least a little.. dont be surprised if some of the traps die before they reopen. As long as there is new growth in the center you are ok.. after it recovers from the shock its likely to go into a growth spurt which is always nice. Expect it to look bad before it looks good though.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jon @ April 16 2004,4:51)]
    Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ April 16 2004,5:41)]How do the ants keep their 'nose' above water level. Won't they drown? Have to take caution that they don't 'float' too long...
    Maybe it because of water tension...
    ANts do not have "noses", they breath through their exoskeliton.
    Yes I know but still...won't the water enter their exoskeleton by osmosis or something?
    Ok maybe I could be wrong there...

Ouote - poopol :[My plant bearly ever can open up again after i feed it, they usauly die while in the process of digustion. Why do they do that? ]

You mean the WHOLE plant dies?
    You mean digestion right...thought the plants were disgusted the first time I read it (I would be if I had to eat ants and insects, but still, plants don't mind!)

Maybe cuz you fed it too big prey? VFTs, well for beginners like me anyway, can only take prey of a third to a half its trap size...otherswise they have digestive problems!

That's what I heard anyway...mine seems to do fine with that sixe prey although I may try bigger on a trap someday...just for an experiment!

Maybe the conditions your plants are in (what are they?) could be affecting its health, and the extra bit of energy taken to 'catch and digest' pulls it down the line until it dies from lack of energy (similar, but not as extreme as flowering I suppose?

Help me on this somebody...

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone tell me how to work the 'quote' button on this thing?
    (when I want to enter a quote)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ April 17 2004,7:07)]
    They can survive for quite some time underwater. My guess is that they keep there spiracles(breathing tubes that show as holes along the side of the abdomen) above water.

I've seen argentine ants attempt to alk over water...they usually fall over and get stuck and drown...haha

Pillbugs make good food? You guys must have some really big VFT's to digest those guys! Perhaps if they escape they would cause problems too. I'm to scared...so the biggest things they eat are jumping spiders.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm...
    if the only real probelm with feeding a VFT Hamburger meat is its to moist and would rot the trap, how about beef jerky?
    lol i think ill try it one time, if any on did already, plz tell us about it, it would be pretty cool if it worked.
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after what barry rice did with his VFt's, I'm sure they would love beef jerky! lol...

Pretty expensive food though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO the salt would be a problem.

Or perhaps let them taste"Peppered"!
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    o ya, i 4 got about the salt
    hmmm... how bout if u dry out hamburger meat?
    like try to use a hair dryer or something on it
    ahaahaha, u can even put that stuff for herps that u can get from Pet store to make things taste and smell like insects

i think ima go try it (poor plants, they like ginne Pigs in a lab)
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast