What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding vft

My plant bearly ever can open up again after i feed it, they usauly die while in the process of digustion. Why do they do that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ April 16 2004,7:37)]Not all ants make bridges, though some species do.  Others float across on leaves used as boats.  
For those kinds of ants that do make bridges, it takes quite a lot of ants.  I only drop one or two at a time in the pot, so that's not really and issue.
All species of ant will make a bridge out of pretty much anything if there arent enough ants for an ant bridge, if one of the colonys larvae or food is on the other side.

The ants in the water get pulled out by other ants... usually
wink.gif

EDIT: Found this on a website:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ants are simple creatures, yet they can perform complicated tasks. They create highways leading to food, organize the distribution of larvae in the anthill, form cemeteries by clustering dead ants, build living bridges to cross gaps in their way, and assign tasks as needed without any centralized control.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ April 14 2004,5:14)]Mine go outside during the warmer months where all I do is watch the flies go bye bye.  Almost every trap catches prey once during its life.  These plants are very good at taking care of these things without any help from me.
I follow the same method as Tamlin.. My VFTs are extremely adept at what they do.
biggrin.gif

Steve

today was that time of the month...
to feed my CP's (y what else were u thinking?!
tounge.gif
)
and i was feeding my VFT's, and well, my Clumping FT, it was so tempting...
I fed all of the traps...(i couldn't resist, they were begging for a bite  
wink.gif
)
Was this a bad thing?
Will it spend all of it's energy trying to digest all the food and then die?
It had like 10 open traps and i fed them all
wow.gif

Plz Tell me

Plants that are used to being fed a lot all the time would have no problem with it... if your plant hasnt had a meal in a long time, a huge feeding like that will likely stress it at least a little.. dont be surprised if some of the traps die before they reopen. As long as there is new growth in the center you are ok.. after it recovers from the shock its likely to go into a growth spurt which is always nice. Expect it to look bad before it looks good though.

Cheers
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jon @ April 16 2004,4:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ April 16 2004,5:41)]How do the ants keep their 'nose' above water level. Won't they drown? Have to take caution that they don't 'float' too long...
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Maybe it because of water tension...
biggrin.gif
ANts do not have "noses", they breath through their exoskeliton.
Yes I know but still...won't the water enter their exoskeleton by osmosis or something?
wink.gif

Ok maybe I could be wrong there...
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Ouote - poopol :[My plant bearly ever can open up again after i feed it, they usauly die while in the process of digustion. Why do they do that? ]

You mean the WHOLE plant dies?
You mean digestion right...thought the plants were disgusted the first time I read it (I would be if I had to eat ants and insects, but still, plants don't mind!)
wink.gif

Maybe cuz you fed it too big prey? VFTs, well for beginners like me anyway, can only take prey of a third to a half its trap size...otherswise they have digestive problems!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

That's what I heard anyway...mine seems to do fine with that sixe prey although I may try bigger on a trap someday...just for an experiment!
wink.gif

Maybe the conditions your plants are in (what are they?) could be affecting its health, and the extra bit of energy taken to 'catch and digest' pulls it down the line until it dies from lack of energy (similar, but not as extreme as flowering I suppose?

Help me on this somebody...
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Jason
tounge.gif

Can someone tell me how to work the 'quote' button on this thing?
wink.gif

(when I want to enter a quote)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ April 17 2004,7:07)]
They can survive for quite some time underwater. My guess is that they keep there spiracles(breathing tubes that show as holes along the side of the abdomen) above water.

I've seen argentine ants attempt to alk over water...they usually fall over and get stuck and drown...haha

Pillbugs make good food? You guys must have some really big VFT's to digest those guys! Perhaps if they escape they would cause problems too. I'm to scared...so the biggest things they eat are jumping spiders.

hmmm...
if the only real probelm with feeding a VFT Hamburger meat is its to moist and would rot the trap, how about beef jerky?
lol i think ill try it one time, if any on did already, plz tell us about it, it would be pretty cool if it worked.

after what barry rice did with his VFt's, I'm sure they would love beef jerky! lol...

Pretty expensive food though!
rock.gif

IMO the salt would be a problem.

Or perhaps let them taste"Peppered"!

o ya, i 4 got about the salt
wink.gif

hmmm... how bout if u dry out hamburger meat?
like try to use a hair dryer or something on it  
tounge.gif

ahaahaha, u can even put that stuff for herps that u can get from Pet store to make things taste and smell like insects

laugh.gif

i think ima go try it (poor plants, they like ginne Pigs in a lab)
Hellz

Hi H. Dungeon: You gotta check out the Carnivorous Plant FAQ, by Barry Rice, as Spec73 suggests. Barry tried an "interesting" experiment with his foot. Also, burger meat is a no-no. http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html Is that the right site?

Tamlin: I truly intended my VFT to be the predator, but....

Pooplol: Talk about a psychological profile of CPers.... You is one demented gal or guy (spiders).
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Overfeeding is detrimental to VFT's as VFT Guy From SJ suggests and Barry Rice preaches.

If you are faint hearted....don't look at that one most interesting question in the FAQ

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Gross! Gross! Gross!

LMAO

Was that about feeding his foot fungus tissue?

I've read it so many times and I still can't get over it...worse than BLENDING crickets or so I've heard.
wink.gif

I'm gonna hurl...YUCK!
wow.gif
wink.gif

Oh yes and the blending part was to get the juice out to feed with a dropper to the guy's cps...grossed out yet? If not I'll keep going...
wink.gif

Okay no more yucky details
wink.gif

Gotta love Barry's sense of humor! I'll never forget :"ookie mookie woosie woo."
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ April 17 2004,7:09)]Can someone tell me how to work the 'quote' button on this thing?
wink.gif

(when I want to enter a quote)
Jason: Did you ever get the quote query resolved? It looks like you were able to post a quote. Are you posting from the blank box or the one below that has the quote in it?

Back