What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding vft

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ April 17 2004,4:02)]hmmm...
if the only real probelm with feeding a VFT Hamburger meat is its to moist and would rot the trap, how about beef jerky?
lol i think ill try it one time, if any on did already, plz tell us about it, it would be pretty cool if it worked.
NO NO NO!!  Firstly, moistness of the meat has nothing at all to do with the problem. Cow meat contains fats and protiens that VFTs are not designed to digest. Beef jerkey contains the same stuff PLUS salts which are a HUGE no-no. Feed your plants BUGS.. thats what they are designed to eat.. thats what they expect to eat..  thats what they WANT to eat. If you decide to buck the system and feed it cow meat go right ahead..  here is a link to where you can buy a replacement plant Petflytrap.com

Cheers
Steve

-_-
i was only jking around, and anyway, i wouldnt feed my VFT's beef jerkey, it was a thought!!!
although, if i had to do an experiment or something, id probably try it out just for curiousity
and anyway, if a trap turns black, it doesnt really affect the whole plant, it will grow a new one most of the time

Today was a very warm day...and the wasp's were out and about. 3...yeah...3 got into my house today...Gave em a good whack with a book, and while they were still twiching, dropped em into a trap...2 into 1 VFT..and 1 in another. I was very pleased with how big my traps got this winter...so it was a nice first feed in a while besides some ticks i found on my cat here and there ;) and yes...i know about dorm. they were fresh from TC so didnt want to stress em this year. If ya want, i could take some pics if anyone is interested...got a new digi cam!

Iam going to try a tad pole this year. Iam curious to see whats left over after the digestings done.

I had some rather large Ants make the mistake of crawling on my walls.  For trespassing on my walls, they got the death by VFT treatment!  
mad.gif
 Ever since I've gotten VFTs I've looked forward to trespassers...I mean annoying bugs.  
biggrin.gif

I tried something new to day. I took meat juice and rubbed some around the the traps. tons of flys came and all but 1 trap is full.

Oh, ah---ahem-- Well, I did the tadpole experiment. Never again!! EVER!!!!!!!!!

What is the tadpole experiment and why wouldn't you do it again?

tadpole experiment=to feed a vft a tadpole
im guessing it didnt work so bugweed's not gonna try again
tounge.gif

This methods a little evil.
mad.gif

do the freezer method exept when you take them out of the freezer you cut there wings then let them wake up fully then just pick the fly up and pop it in. The advange to this one is that you can make sure the fly is alive but still be able to catch it when it's moving.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pooplol @ April 24 2004,2:27)]This methods a little evil.
mad.gif

do the freezer method exept when you take them out of the freezer you cut there wings then let them wake up fully then just pick the fly up and pop it in. The advange to this one is that you can make sure the fly is alive but still be able to catch it when it's moving.
laugh.gif
Do you own a magnifying glass by any chance? Just wondering AND kidding. The fridge puts them to sleep in about 10 minutes. Putting a sleeping fly in a VFT gets them to close and then when it wakes up, it struggles, stimulating the VFT to do its digestive thing. What does pooplol mean? Is that another one of those cyber abbreviations things that everybody - but me - understands? I know what LOL means - just can't figure out the rest. How come part of your posts are in green and part are in black? The green is difficult to read.

i think hes laffin at poop
lol
c?
pooplol
thats my take on it
laugh.gif

HellzDungeon got it right
laugh.gif
I love poops, they make me laugh
laugh.gif

Dude, change the color on your text! I've gotta highlight it to read it so I don't kill my eyes!

Is pooplol a dude or a dudette? It's like the Mark Wilson thing - a guy's name but profile says female.  
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
Reminds me of the FTG confusion.

the reason is font is green is probably to stand for GREEN poop
laugh.gif

Try lean turkey meat... It would probably work great!

how come the first few post are in black and the rest are in green. Normally, when you do a profile change, those changes change the previous posts.

Wait my profile says female?

Looks like we had a cyber sex change operation.
laugh.gif
Nice readable color. What happened to the avatar, though?

Back