Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeding vft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually feed mine flys that I put in the freezer so they sleep. I was wondering what you feed your plant, if you use any techniques like the freezer one, and is it okay to feed your VFT ants?

THX,
    Joel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pooplol,
    i feed my VFT's with pinhead sized crickets
    ive gottta try that freezer method so they dont jump out right after the trap closes, it gets me mad when that happens...
    to feed them, i just use tweezers and let go when the trap closes, but sometimes, the crickets get out of the back while i take the tweezers out.
    As for the ants, unless your traps are really really small like a baby VFT has, or u have big ants, you cant feed them ants. the reason VFT's dont colse all the way when the triggers hairs are touched is so they dont waste their energy digesting nothing, or small insects. this gives time for the small insect to escape and allow the trap to reset itself for larger prey.
    i hope that answers your quetions,
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I catch flies live and put them into a 50 ml sample container (I work at a lab) and then put them in the sample fridge to get them asleep. Then I put the sleeping flies in the traps and let them wake up enough tp stuggle and cause the VFT to believe it has real live food.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jim, that's what I do too sometimes, but I mainly make them sleep and release them into the terrarium, watch them wake up and wonder into traps or fly into the D. capensis and other death by plants.
    LACPS Member
    \"Don't make me sic my targ on you!\" -Jonathan Passow
    www.mulletman.org <--VISIT MY NEW HOMEPAGE&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hellz,
    I don't know what ants you have around, but I've got some nice, big suckers. Too big for baby plants. I like to put a VFT put in a large tray of water, and drop in a few ants. They won't cross the water, and as soon as they settle down and start to explore....Well, you get the idea!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (schloaty @ April 14 2004,4:04)]Hellz,
    I don't know what ants you have around, but I've got some nice, big suckers. Too big for baby plants. I like to put a VFT put in a large tray of water, and drop in a few ants. They won't cross the water, and as soon as they settle down and start to explore....Well, you get the idea!
    Ants can cross water. They float! So what they do, is make a "bridge" of floating ants, and other ants walk across the "bridge"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was talking about those really small ant
    and as for the refrigerator method, how long should u keep the bugs in the fridge?
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the freezer, it takes between ten and thirty seconds, depending on the size and cold hardiness of the bug. Remember, you don't want to kill them, just knock them out.

SF

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast